Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trial Run First Smoked Turkey tomorrow: Seeking advice!

Options
HeathCave
HeathCave Posts: 69
edited November 2014 in Forum Feedback
So I am doing my first smoked turkey tomorrow as a trial run before Thanksgiving on the egg. I have some questions for the eggsperienced...

Notables:
About 7-8lb turkey (still thawing, I'm praying it is thawed by morning...I put it in the fridge frozen yesterday evening)
Skipping the brine this first go...SWMBO likes dry turkey anyway
Injecting with butter/chicken broth/creole seasoning/hot sauce
Rubbing with some Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub today at the Ceramic Grill Store. (I live fairly close and stopped by to see the AR setup in person)
Plan to cook at around 300-325 temp using OO
LBGE with indirect platesetter setup

I am going to use some pecan and cherry wood chunks...but how much of each?
Should I turn the turkey at all?
Baste at all?
IT 165?
Anything else I should be asking/doing, but I'm not realizing it??

Thanks in advance for the pointers! 

:D
Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If you don't care about presentation you just rub, spatch, and cook direct till about 160 breast 175 thigh. This works best for me. Otherwise I can't get temps right between breast and thigh.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    Options
    You will not want to use too much smoke. A little goes a long ways on a bird.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    check when IT is 120, may not need to turn, i don't baste.  agree careful with the smoke, esp at lower temps.  i'll post my turkeys later tonight.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First where do you get a 8lb turkey? I like 12/13 lbs spatchcocked direct raised on adj rig and never turn. Cherry/pecan chips a large single handful. I cook at about 375/400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 on what @mickey said. I would go light handed on the pecan. Do about a 75/25 mix with cherry. Pecan has good flavors but in my experience will turn the bird way dark if too much is used

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HeathCave
    Options
    Ha @Mickey...I got it at Tom Thumb! There were bigger ones but I didn't want any leftovers really since the dinner I'll be cooking the "real" turkey for is only a couple weeks away (early Thanksgiving get together). I didn't want to be tired of turkey already by that day. (Is that possible with smoked turkey though??)

I only have chunks of pecan and cherry...one chunk each? Soak before? Or no?

I've never spatchcocked any bird yet. That is one of my next things to do though some time soon. For this bird, I think presentation will be important to everyone else, so I figured I would stick with a "traditional looking turkey".

For 8lbs at around 300-325..how long should I expect it to take? 3-4 hours?

• Mickey
    Options
    NO TO SOAK ~:> I just wish I could find that small of a bird. Can't help with time. Mine takes 75 to 90 min. Is your chunks about the size of half your fist? Then one of each is what I would do. Lots of smoke is not your friend here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HeathCave
    Options
    @Mickey, yeah that's about the size of the chunks. I'll go one of each. 

Thx everyone. If I can remember to slow down, I'll grab some pics along the way. I always get caught up in the cook and forget to get the pics! 
  • HeathCave
    Options
    Turkey's on! Think I have enough probes?? Lol. I got em. Might as well use em.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Turkeys generally run 12-15 minutes per pound on the Egg. As others have said a little smoke goes a long way in a bird.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Be sure to get yourself an instead read (preferably digital) thermometer.  It'll cost you $5-$10 bucks and is the best possible investment you can make- when it comes to cooking poultry just right. Thigh and breast temp guide on BGE website is perfect.

ANd it's gotta be thawed completely, otherwise bad issues lurk-= I speak from experience my friend!

• grege345
    Options
    Thighs toward the back. It will help to get the thigh temp higher than breast. Let us know how it turns out.

• HeathCave
    HeathCave Posts: 69
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks @grege345, I rotated it for the last hour. One side was not cooking as well as the other anyway. 

Here's a couple final pics. It's not plated very well...sorry. I gotta work on my plating skills! The skin looks a little darker in the picture than it really was. But, judging by the skin, I was fearful cutting into it that it was going to be dry. 

It ended up a lot more moist than I thought it would be. It was looking pretty dry. I let it rest (tented) for about 35-40 minutes. When I started carving, juice rushed out (which was a welcome sight). But, it dried out fairly quickly once it was cut. 

The taste was amazing. A good amount of smoke, but not too much. (Thanks to @Mickey and all for the smoke warning). I used one chunk of pecan and one chunk of cherry. Seems like just enough. 

We had some friends over for a "pre-Thanksgiving" meal and they loved it. We even sent some home with them. 

Thanks for all the help!

Total cook time: 3.5 hrs hovering around 275-300
  • Mickey
    Options
    Looks good

• grege345
    Options
    Gotta love a practice run that comes out that good. Any plans to do anything different for the big day?

• djh3
    djh3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am doing one for our Thanksgiving. but I'm going just a bit of a different route. We will be camping so no egg. I plan to cook a 10lb breast, and have a pair of thighs and legs separate. Thinking I will fabricate a drip pan out of heavy gauge alum foil and put breast in V rack. Nestle the leg and thigh in under breast and put the probe in the breast. 275-300 range with some pecan and using Weber roasted garlic and herb spice as a rub. 
      this way it will be all cooked and we can transport and warm in oven at camper.