Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rub for Spatchcock Turkey

Options
Wife is going to make the traditional oven roasted Turkey for Thanksgiving but I am planning to smoke one as well.  What rubs have you all found to go well with Turkey?

Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Not sure where your located at but I really like Cookies Flavor Enhancer on poultry. Otherwise salt and pepper is always good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Coffee rub is great with chicken. Haven't tried it on turkey, but Mickey's turkey legs sure look good!

Recipe... "Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed."

I've used the rub below several times on chicken and like it at least as well as the coffee. Haven't used it on turkey, but hey, it's poultry. :) Amount is good for a 4-ish lb chicken. For a turkey, make more. :) It's very simple, just smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried parsley, pepper, salt and evoo. It's a paste, not a rub. 

Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    from amazing ribs Simon & Garfunkel rub: 

1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley
    2 tablespoons dried crushed sage
    1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary
    1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
    1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
    1 tablespoon dried crushed basil
    1 tablespoon dried crushed bay leaf
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon sugar

mix with oil and then rub. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Just to resurrect the dead, I have seen an alternate Simon and Garfunkel rub that also contains salt and crushed red pepper . I'm wondering if this rub would work with crushed red pepper rather than black? A couple of people in the family have hiatal hernias that react to black pepper but not to red. Also no salt????? BTW I was going to post a whole new thread but decided to use the search function.
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    At eggtoberfest in Atlanta, they spatchcocked a bunch of turkeys and used various rubs.  The crowd favorite was raging river by dizzy pig.  I’ve used it on turkeys several times & it’s worth all of the hype.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I dragged this thread up from the crypt because of the question about Simon and Garfunkel rub.