Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting Lump

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering the best way to light lump. W/O going into detail I can't use a horseshoe lighter. Currently I use starter sticks, they work pretty good but I am concerned that the sticks are giving my food a funny taste. could that be the case??? I have a chimney and was thinking about using it. Some concerns I have are damaging the gasket trying to light the chimney while it's on the grill. Also, I am curious as to the amount of lit lump needed to do a low n slow and the amount needed to do a high temp sear? Thanks in advance -Matt

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Matt in the STL,
    I don't claim to be an eggspert, but I have had good success with just a few wadded up napkins smashed down into the lump. I kinda sorta cover the napkins with a little lump, open the bottom vent all the way, light the edges of the napkin, close the lid and open the top vent. It usually takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to get the lump going good enough to stack in your setup and adjust for cooking temp. I also use that "green stuff" on occasion, it has no smell and burns clean. I found it a Whole Foods.

• Matt in the STL,[p]I use an electric starter not designed for the egg but it takes nothing to bend that metal to fint in the egg. Otherwise the paper method Ron mentions sounds good too.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Matt in the STL,[p]I use a chimney - current one is by weber - using one or two sheets from the Washington Post and a couple inches of old lump. Takes 5-10 minutes at most and then I just turn it upside down on top of lump loaded in the egg. Or you can even start it sitting on top of the stuff in the egg and you'll find the latter is already going by the time the charcoal in the chimney is going. Only problem with the latter is that burning the newspaper generates more ash then the charcoal does during the entire cook.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Matt in the STL,
    i use the wax things... whatever i can get cheap.
    cheapest so far is a stooopid fireplace log broke up into bits with a screwdriver.[p]they light fast (being all rough edges, and i can use 6 if i want to get going fast to sear temps without wasting any money. the log is 6 pounds and was 2 bucks.[p]anyway, they can't make your food taste funny if you light them, let them ignite the lump, and let them burn off. that's the other reason i like the small peices, a starter stick is bigger, and takes a while to burn off. these things light uick and i can spread them around the lump.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    Matt in the STL,[p]Propane torch. 20-30 seconds in one spot. I hit it once in the center for a low & slow, and add 3 or 4 about 1/2 way to the edge, evenly spaced, to get it going quickly for a sear. The BBQ Guru folks also sell what they call a "golf club" that attaches to the torch, spreads the flame, and allows you to bury it in the lump...works really well...see the link below.[p]
    [ul][li]Guru Golf Club[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Matt in the STL,
    I use a MAPP torch (hotter than propane), held in 4 places around the perimeter and 1 in the center, for ten seconds each. -RP

• stike,
    The starter sticks I use are about 3-3 1/2 inches long and about the size of a Sharpie marker. Not sure how long they take to burn though. I wanted to get those Weber starter cubes, they worked well but the place I usually go to was out...Check out my post below about the ribs I did. I posted it today. I couldn't taste any of the seasoning I put on my ribs. Any thoughts???

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Matt in the STL,
    I use a chimney starter for my reviews and I always start it somewhere else and then carry it to the egg. I have an aluminum pan I hold under the starter as I transport it. Wear shoes![p]As for starting for low and slow, my best low and slow was my first. (Isn't that always the truth? LOL!) I started a chimney and forgot about it. It was doing an impression of an F-14 on afterburner when I returned. Well, never one to worry, I dumped it on top of the fire I had laid. The cooker went up to 400 or so initially, but when I added the plate setter and meat, it was down below 200 again. I then did the vent thing as the temperature came up and stabilized at 230. The fire stayed constant all night long. You can read more here:[p][li]The Naked Whiz's First Time[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Haggis,
    I have used the chimney before. I filled it halfway up with lump then used the newspaper underneath it to light it. All of this was done ON the grill. My concern is torching the felt gasket, what do you think. Also, how much do you put in the chimney when doing a lo n slo as opposed to a nice hot sear. I appreciate your help!

• The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks for the reply. I actually followed your steps for my first overnight and it turned out great! Question, I have been asking around. I put seasoning on my ribs this weekend about 4hrs before they went on the grill. Right before they went on I touched'em up again. The meat turned out great. Tender and juicy (3/1/1 method). However, I couldn't taste any of the seasoning I used. I used a couple of John Henry products (Apple Rub and Sugarfoot Rub). I am anxious to try some Dizzy Pig products as i read about them almost daily on the forum. Your thoughts are appreciated!!!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Matt in the STL,[p]I'm not the person to rely on for advice on low and slow - only done one -- but it did work well. I've been using the chimney for briquets on my Weber for 30 years and after trying starter cubes and newspaper wads under lump quickly returned to it. With briquets I'd always filled to the top but have found that isn't necessary with lump - it starts and spreads much quicker. With my sole low and slow I put no more than two/three inches of lump in the chimney and started it on the grill of my weber (the only thing I use it for now,) then dumped it into the middle of the BGE (filled halfway up the fire ring) and just slightly turned it into the Royal Oak lump. Within 15-20 minutes I had a 230 degree burn that maintained itself for about 16 hours with only the slightest attention (it could have gone longer but that was all I needed.) I think if I had used my normal larger quantity in the chimney it may have been harder to get the constant burn that I wanted, and this is fairly consistent with Elder's guidance that one only needs to start the center of the lump.
  • Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    Matt in the STL,
    Whether sear or long cook, I've taken new lump (just on bottom of chimney)and add some old lump (maybe 2 inches) and then light newspaper. Once completely orange and lava looking, dump it on bed of lump. I am fairly new at this (only grilling 4 times a week now) but you will know whats best for you quickly.[p]Jake

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    e915bd30.jpg
    <p />Matt in the STL,
    weed burners light lump, cleans grill, and removes buildup in dome all at once. harbor freight has them online for about 20 dollars
    sunsets.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman, What is that called and where do you buy one.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Bill rousey,
    here you go...

[ul][li]weed burner at Harbor Freight[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.