Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Brine, the best I ever had.

Options
cactus_darrell
cactus_darrell Posts: 68
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum

I have been using this brine for a decade, I really like it, everyone raves about how good turkey is.  The other really nice  thing about using it is , it really has a great holiday aroma while simmering. Mrs. Cactus says ummm

For multiple turkeys or turkey breast I use a ice chest, double bag turkeys in heavy duty plastic bags,  cover with the brine mixture,and fill ice chest up with enough ice to cover everything.   I also found it is easier to use fresh turkeys if you can find them.  Don't like those frozen ones, too much calculating thaw time brine time.  I have brined up to 2 days before smoking.  If you use bucket be sure to rotate bird several times.

Pictures to follow, this will be the first BGE turkey.  I will be smoking 2 turkeys, 1 turkey breast, and a smoked ham.  We love for the family to take home plenty of food!!

I'm telling you, give this a try you will not be disappointed !!!

Apple-Brined Smoked Turkey

An apple juice-based brine and 24 hours of marination are the keys to this uncommonly tasty version.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

For the Brine:

2 quarts apple juice 

1.5 cup brown sugar

1.5 cup   kosher salt

3 oranges, quartered

1 whole onion quartered

15 whole   cloves

6  bay leaves

6 large cloves garlic, crushed

1 turkey, 12 to 14 pounds

DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the apple juice, brown sugar, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cook for 1 minute, add the oranges, onion, cloves, bay leaves, and garlic.  I usually let it cook on low for about 10 - 15 min.. Remove from heat allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.

In a 5-gallon plastic bucket or other container large enough to easily hold the turkey, combine 3 quarts of water,. Add the apple juice mixture and stir.

Rinse the turkey inside and out, drain, and submerge the turkey in the brine. If necessary, top with a heavy weight to make sure it is completely immersed. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Hmmm, that sounds good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I've used one very similar to this and love it.  Will give this one a shot also.  For a different flavor in the fall I have substituted the apple juice for cider.  Pretty good...
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Thanks! Booked it.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Bookmarked! Thank you I will give this a try!
    NW IOWA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing -- ever-noted for future reference
    I'm a brining amateur but one thing I like to do is get everything dissolved in a small amount of liquid, then dilute it with the rest of the liquid iced.  Then I don't have to wait for it all to cool.  FWIW.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Thanks for sharing -- ever-noted for future reference
    I'm a brining amateur but one thing I like to do is get everything dissolved in a small amount of liquid, then dilute it with the rest of the liquid iced.  Then I don't have to wait for it all to cool.  FWIW.
    That will work also, but you will miss the great aroma that this brine will produce, very holiday fragreance, really a nice air flavor.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

Amarillo, Texas

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    good point!  When I make it, I won't cut the corners, and I'll enjoy the aroma :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I can't wait to see your pics. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @cactus_darrell:  I'm a long-time believer in brining.  Makes all the difference in the world.  This recipe sounds really good.  Bookmarked!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Sounds dee-lish. Bookmarked.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    how do you bookmark?  I want to come back to this too...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    stompbox said:

click the star to the right of post
  • cactus_darrell
    Options

I was cruising some pictures in my drop box, came across this picture of the turkey brine.  This is the same recipe and I added a couple of extra ingredients, Black peppercorns, sliced jalapenos, several  cinnamon sticks.   Guess Mrs. Cactus was wanting to spice it up a little. She like it spicy sometimes.

:x image

Amarillo, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now that looks pretty! I might try it this year. Thanks for sharing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never brined anything. Mostly because it looks like way too much trouble. And now that I am on a low sodium diet for the duration, I guess I never will. Fortunately, I like my poultry as I have always prepared it. Always juicy and flavorful, even now that I use very little salt in anything (and often, none). Just season appropriately for the desired flavor and, most importantly, don't overcook.

This link has been posted here before. Makes a good case for no brine... 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have never brined anything. Mostly because it looks like way too much trouble. And now that I am on a low sodium diet for the duration, I guess I never will. Fortunately, I like my poultry as I have always prepared it. Always juicy and flavorful, even now that I use very little salt in anything (and often, none). Just season appropriately for the desired flavor and, most importantly, don't overcook.

Interesting read (or really a skim by me).  

I do a semi brine.  Would I do like to do is place aromatics in the water.  I usually don't do a ton of salt though.  

I like to use salt, peppercorns, thyme, sage, orange peel, orange, garlic, and brown sugar.  I had good results, but also had good results prior too without brineing.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    stompbox said:

click the star to the right of post
    Thanks!
  • cactus_darrell
    Options

I will never forget the first smoked turkey I ever ate that had been brined. Unbelievable!! Every since then I have experimented with brining formulas. (almost 30 years) Back then there was no internet, had to research libraries, cook books to find info on brining. I lived in the Ozarks and information on smoking food was hard to come by, mainly by word of mouth. Smoking info was kind of top secret, it was like asking a shiner for his shine recipe. Not gonna happen.  I totally disagree as to watered down taste, never experienced that!  Don't know who this dude is that authored your link, he more than likely has some kind of culinary degree, but I disagree with his analysis. All I say is the proof is in the tasting.  Too many complements over the years as to "this is the best turkey I have ever had, how did you cook it?" I agree it is somewhat extra effort to do but, that is part of the enjoyment of cooking for my family. Like Hank Jr.  said "it's family tradition"

yeah baby!!  BRINE ON

Amarillo, Texas

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    Options

I was cruising some pictures in my drop box, came across this picture of the turkey brine.  This is the same recipe and I added a couple of extra ingredients, Black peppercorns, sliced jalapenos, several  cinnamon sticks.   Guess Mrs. Cactus was wanting to spice it up a little. She like it spicy sometimes.

:x Darrell....this looks like a great brine recipe....love you adds! How many jalapenos did you add? How much kick did it produce?

• cactus_darrell
    Options
    UCFFAN said:

:x Darrell....this looks like a great brine recipe....love you adds! How many jalapenos did you add? How much kick did it produce?

I can't recall the jalapeno ratio, it really depends on how hot they are.  I have found a drastic difference in the time of year peppers are sold.  Some are extra hot and some are really mild.  Just test to see, I always leave them with the seeds in also.

happy holidays

cactus d

Amarillo, Texas

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey Guys....Have you seen this?

Sort of an anti beer canning article ala the big Brine. First for smoking turkey I prefer the brine. This article is focused on roasting in da oven. Not sure about all the chemistry et al via the author but my taste buds tell me Brine and Smoke are best buds...with uncle TOM....;-)
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have never brined, but this makes me want to! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cactus_darrell said: I will never forget the first smoked turkey I ever ate that had been brined. Unbelievable!! Every since then I have experimented with brining formulas. (almost 30 years) Back then there was no internet, had to research libraries, cook books to find info on brining. I lived in the Ozarks and information on smoking food was hard to come by, mainly by word of mouth. Smoking info was kind of top secret, it was like asking a shiner for his shine recipe. Not gonna happen.  I totally disagree as to watered down taste, never experienced that!  Don't know who this dude is that authored your link, he more than likely has some kind of culinary degree, but I disagree with his analysis. All I say is the proof is in the tasting.  Too many complements over the years as to "this is the best turkey I have ever had, how did you cook it?" I agree it is somewhat extra effort to do but, that is part of the enjoyment of cooking for my family. Like Hank Jr.  said "it's family tradition" yeah baby!!  BRINE ON

Well, I gotta say your brine mix looks awesome. :) And I'm sure it's delicious. It's good I like what I cook without brine because of my lo so diet. A brined bird may not pick up much sodium (not sure), but since I'm supposed to limit my sodium to the equivalent of one lousy teaspoon of salt per day, I'm not adding
    any if I don't have to. I'll just have to suffer through my deliciously unbrined birds. :)

About Kenji, I know he went to MIT so he does have a brain. I don't think he has a culinary degree though, I doubt MIT even has such a program. Could be wrong on both counts. Generally, I think he's pretty spot on, and I've enjoyed several of his recipes. However, I tried one of them last week that was absolutely horrible!

His profile at Serious Eats says...

J. Kenji López-Alt is the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab, where he unravels the science of home cooking. A restaurant-trained chef and former Editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, he is the author of upcoming The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science, to be released by W. W. Norton.

Enjoy your brining. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited November 2014
    Options

I normally do brine turkeys so will try your recipe this year.

On question for all--I just read something I got from Thermoworks that stated Butter Ball turkeys have been pre-injected with saline solution and don't have to be brined.  I never heard that--guess it won't hurt to brine anyway.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I think most turkeys now have some solution added. Check label, maybe a few high priced organic don't but I don't buy or look for that type.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    cactus_darrell  After you pull the turkey from the brine do you soak or rinse to get the saltiness out ? How long do you rinse or soak ? Thanks
    Danville, Il
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    I take bird out of brine and rinse the inside and outside pat dry with paper towels or a clean dish rag.  You can spray with Olive oil and apply what ever rub you prefer. Sometimes I make a Cajun injection  and inject the bird for that spicy taste flavor.  I have also melted butter with different spices and injected with that too. good luck, Happy Holidays

Amarillo, Texas

• cactus_darrell
    Options

And it begins, double batch of brine.  Cooking 2 turkeys, turkey breast, and a big ole ham. 

Happy Holidays

Amarillo, Texas