Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip and Veggies

Options
I am getting ready to cook my first Tri-Tip on the BGE. Direct, about 250 then reverse sear. Veggies going on the gasser (hey I have to use it for something), rubbed with Penzy's Sicilian Salad Seasoning and S&P. Tri-Tip purchased from butcher already marinated in a soy base. Thinking about 20 minutes till it hits 110...then pull and reverse sear. Picture below is not the best quality but gives you an idea. Will post finished pics when done.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Should be tasty. I actually go indirect but higher temp, and then on CI for good sear.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Yea, I am trying Direct this time. May not have to sear with that but waiting and seeing. This is my first and a bit of an experiment.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I cook tri tip all the time (grew up in CA). I've done them, direct, indirect, sear first, reverse sear. My favorite. Indirect at 250 or so until about 110 and then reverse sear. Pull at your desired temp. Tasty meal. I like to do an easy board sauce with tri tip. EVOO, chopped jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper. (Any herbs work, whatever you like). Combine on your cutting board, put the finished tri tip on top, slice against the grain and mix all your pieces in the sauce/juice mixture. Tasty.
  • evie1370
    Options
    I cook tri tip all the time (grew up in CA). I've done them, direct, indirect, sear first, reverse sear. My favorite. Indirect at 250 or so until about 110 and then reverse sear. Pull at your desired temp. Tasty meal. I like to do an easy board sauce with tri tip. EVOO, chopped jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper. (Any herbs work, whatever you like). Combine on your cutting board, put the finished tri tip on top, slice against the grain and mix all your pieces in the sauce/juice mixture. Tasty.

Just pulled at 110. Resting in foil, will reverse sear when the temp hits 400 on the BGE. Love that idea of a board sauce, unfortunately I have no jalapenos! Darn it! But will next time.

"

• evie1370
    Options

Done. 

I pulled it off the sear a little later than my liking due to the fact that Mr Evie likes his meat more on the medium side, while I like it practically mooing...so this was the compromise. Turned out great and delicious, he got the ends, myself the middle which was medium rare and fine for me. Reverse sear came out great, just the right amount of crust IMO.

Delicious, now I know why so many on this forum swear by Tri-Tip. Leftovers are for fajitas tomorrow.

"

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Nice. Need tri tip to migrate east >:/
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Excellent!! =P~ That looks so much better than the subway sandwich I had for dinner. :-S
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks great
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Great job! That was a mutant of a tri-tip! Congrats from California.
    :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • evie1370
    Options
    Thanks guys! Our butcher carries the marinated version on a regular basis, this one was 2.5 lbs. Plenty for leftovers. I am amazed how here in S. OH so few butchers carry it...I am sold on this cut. Tasty, quick cooking and so much cheaper than a rib eye!

"

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Nice. Need tri tip to migrate east >:/

Where are you located? Tri tip is easy for me to find, right outside of Baltimore.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @acn small town in north ga