Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tryin to get low

Options
Still new here.Messing around this afternoon with a small chuck roast.The issue is this: I can get my egg down around 250F no problem. I try to get below that and I've got both air sources closed.Seems like it's really hard to scrub temp.off once you've achieved it. I am not lifting the lid on this cook to get 225F, but on some cooks I'm thinking 200 to 225 will be better for some menu items. And if you're wondering, yes I have good gasket seal on the lid and the top. Is this normal egg behaviour? Thoughts, comments?

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've got an XL & it doesn't like anything below 225. 
    That's alot of ceramic to hold below 225 without the fire going out. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    My egg will run 225 no problem but anything lower than that I think a controller is a necessity for me.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    i don't have a controller, but I can do this in my XL if I don't overload lump, keep the initial light small and don't run the temp up then have to back it down. You have to keep the amount of lit lump small but with good airflow.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I ran my large at 180 grid for 2.5 hrs the other day and then intentionally bumped it up so don't know how long it would go. I think the key is start small and catch it on the way up. I was trying to get a 325* fire last night and got distracted and overshot and took forever to get back where I wanted.

I have no pit controller. Just using vents.
  • hotfoot
    Options
    Thanks for the input folks!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Without a controller sub 250 was very tough. W/a controller I can do 180 no problem.
    Seattle, WA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mine dials in well at 250. I use my controller if I want to hold a lower temp.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

I can set, with confidence, at 225° almost always.  There is sometimes a drift up to 240° or so, but it usually stays pretty close to 225°.

I think that maybe people play with the vents too much.  I dunno . . . JMO.  I take my time - because this is supposed to be fun, right? 

Why rush?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I often have to remember all the delicious BBQ I have cooked on an old Weber kettle....not knowing just how hot it was at any time.   Know when to stop cooking the meat, that's all that is important. IMO 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Catch it on the way up before it gets to your temp rather than trying to bring the temp down.

Most people's eggs don't like sub 250

To go lower, get a pit controller. I've held 150 for hours and hours doing sausage.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a large with no pit controller and I had trouble keeping it below 250 as well for any length of time. I, like @haptser says, think 250 - 275 is good for just about any low and slow.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    edited November 2014
    Options

Staying below 250 is a chore to get setup.

Griffin is right, catch it on the way up.   After I light, I leave my Plate Setter out for a while, just in case I get it a bit too warm, putting the cooler Plate Setter in while I am squeezing the vents down help me get it where I want it.

When cooking low, I lite - sit for 30 minutes or so, then setup the platesetter - drip pan if I am using one - and grill.   Then watch for another 30 minutes or so.   It is usually an hour from the time I light until I start cooking.

I steadfastly maintain - the brand of charcoal does matter.   I cook 80 % low, 10% in the 3-400 range, 10% Pizza.

This means I have a chance to get good fire, stable temp.   Then load and go.

I don't think amount of charcoal matters - I think its all about available oxygen.

Cookin in Texas