Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veteran's Day-saying thank you doesn't seem like enough

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
To all you veterans out there. Whether retired, active duty, or considering serving, THANK YOU  for your selfless service to our country. I didn't serve in the armed forces so I, especially thank those of you who did/do. We take a lot for granted but tomorrow let's not take our veterans and their service for granted. Because of them we have a free and safe country, we have peaceful transitions of power at every election, and we all know those things don't come free. And to all those who paid the ultimate price...how do you say thank you to their families?

To all of you who served, thank you!!

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Most of us who served or are currently serving Our Great Country would do it again. I know my wife @HuskerMaMa and I both would do it again in a nanosecond. We are both proud to have served in the United States Navy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Thank you doesn't seem enough but Thank You!!

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @NPHuskerFL‌ said. I'm a retired Army guy and must say I always felt odd when people thanked me for my service. Dont get me wrong, the appreciation was great but I didn't fully grasp it until after I retired and my son decided to serve. I think it hit me when I went to his AIT graduation and got to put on his blue infantry cord. Watching him board a plane to leave for war twice definitely changed my view of veterans.

@ksmyrl‌ and @erniemcclain‌ your thanks and appreciation is what keeps our young men and women doing what they do.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well said, and a heartfelt thanks to all our veterans as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options

I was a teenager during Vietnam. Had my draft card and my lottery number. My time was coming and I was ready to serve. Thanks to President Nixon the war was ended and the draft terminated.

To everyone who did serve, at any time, THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU. The sacrifices you've made can never be repaid.

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I served, and I come from a long line of veterans.  My only brother died in Iraq while serving in the Army.  Let's all thank a vet, but more importantly let's live it.  Make sure their service and sacrifice isn't wasted.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Thank you ksmyrl We do it because we think its the right thing to do (my opinion  only) im still in the Canadian  Air Force 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    While I never served... I am eternally grateful to those who have and continue to do so; so that my family and I can be free.

My father, and all of my uncles were WWII vets... and I have had other family members serve since then and today. I vote every election day as a way to say thank you; that meant so much to my dad, and we would always remind me that I was able participate in the peaceful transfer of power every November because of the service and sacrifice of veterans.

Thanks Dad...

Army Air Corp
    8th Air Force
    B-17 Pilot
    35 Missions

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    The joys of unemployment  I normally work today, but as I am looking for work, I decided to enjoy the day and I went and marched in our Local Veteran's Day Parade.  I joined post Vietnam era (I was just a kid during Nam), I always felt bad about how America treated the Vietnam Veterans when they returned home.  It is so nice to see our country has woken up and realized, if you don't like the war, don't blame the Vets, blame the government. 

Thank you for your "Thank You", it feels good to be appreciated.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.