Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp controller storage

Options
Been leaving my PitMaster in a box in my detached metal shed/garage where I do most my Egging. It is not heated or cooled. Do the extreme swing in temperatures cause issues with these controllers? Just curious if I'd be better off keeping it up @ the house? No issues yet but surely don't want any either. Where do you folks keep your controllers stored? Thanks!
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like to have mine in the house, but store it in a Rubbermaid/sterelite container.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Our equipment, which includes printed ICs are not recommended without space heaters to 0°C..Depends on how cold it is where you are. I would have it in a controlled environment personally.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Back in the box in the house for me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Keep mine in the house or camper when in use.  Have a nice sized Rubbermaid container with locking lid I keep everything in, even the container I put the Digi in if it rains.  Just grab and go. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have an older style BBQ Guru and I keep it in a hard shelled plastic pistol case inside the house.image
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I mean if you have the cabinet space just keep it in your kitchen.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    When I'm finished using my Stoker I put it into the Sterilite case that I made to shield it from rain into my bedroom closet for storage.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use a cheap plastic Home Depot toolbox. Last spring I discovered I forgot to take it inside sometime during the winter and it spent part of the polar vortex winter in the unheated garage. Still works fine.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No idea if the temp/humidity swings hurt. I keep all my stuff in the house anyway.

But I don't have a padded case like Ron has. Then again, I wouldn't admit it if i did! 
    :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

No idea if the temp/humidity swings hurt. I keep all my stuff in the house anyway.

But I don't have a padded case like Ron has. Then again, I wouldn't admit it if i did! 
    :))
    Padded and velour would be like heaven. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't give him any more ideas.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    I keep mine under my pillow, right next to a few left over chicken wings, and a Glock 19.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I leave mine outside, but sheltered from the rain.  Of course, it rarely drops below freezing where I live.  I also store  my Maverick units outside, which is probably not the best idea as they are battery operated and I'm pretty sure 100+F degrees isn't an ideal storage temperature for batteries.  Lot's of military electronics are rated for -54C(-65F) to 100 C (212F).  And while your commercial grade electronics are not, the only real difference is screening.  Military rated IC's & other electronic components are subjected to the temperature extremes and then tested.  If they survive, then they are rated for military use and the price goes up accordingly.  Your commercial grade electronic components are never tested for temperature extremes and carry a lower price as a result.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I keep my maverick in the house when not in use.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    RRP,

I still have and use my old controller like the one in your picture.  I actually use my 4CFM blower on my large BGE as well as my Komodo Kamado Big Bad 32 with no issues.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    I keep mine in the garage inside a Tupperware container with a couple of paper towels in it just in case moisture gets in.

An old "Hints from Heloise" tip. Going on ten years like this with no problems yet.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• RickyBobby
    Options
    After I got through with a cook yesterday ... I moved the PitMaster up to the house. This thread and some of your responses was a direct result of that. Cold weather coming in Tuesday and I'd rather be safe than sorry!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I keep mine in an official BBQ Guru padded case.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Cool case.

Your little stand, do you bend and straighten that out each time?  If so, I would like to warn you it may crack from metal fatigue someday. 

I've put magnetic tape on the base of mine so it adhere's to my steel table.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    dstearn said:
    Cool case.

Your little stand, do you bend and straighten that out each time?  If so, I would like to warn you it may crack from metal fatigue someday. 

I've put magnetic tape on the base of mine so it adhere's to my steel table.

I just ordered the new Flex Magnet Mount for that reason. https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=5&ProductId=78