Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook This Weekend

Options
So I've had the Egg for about a month and half now, and I've done a decent amount of cooks (who am I kidding, I haven't used that box with a clock in my kitchen since), and I think I'm ready to try my hand at a brisket this Saturday.  I had initially intended to start with a flat (as 3-4lb was my limit), and I've been researching the Travis method.  However, during my sojourn into Whole Paycheck today, I was able to get a 3 lb cut of a whole brisket (top and bottom).  I've seen lots of recipes for larger cuts, are there any tips for smaller cuts of whole brisket?  Should I marinate?  How long of a cook time am I looking at? And does anyone have any tips for someone doing a first brisket?  Thanks in advance, pics to come.
Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Are you sure that is a whole packer brisket. Sounds more like a flat to me.
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    It's not a whole, but its cut from a whole. It has both top and bottom and a healthy fat cap.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Sounds like a flat to me. You are looking at short cook around 4 1/2 hours, maybe less at 225 grid. I would rub salt and pepper and cook it fat side down until it reaches 195 internal at the thickest part of the flat. The probe for tenderness.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    There have been several threads this week on smoking brisket points and caps ~4-5 lbs. 

I smoked quite a few 4-5 lb points and caps when I first started. I didn't cook my caps any different than how I do a full packer, now. The fat will render....smoke on. Points can dry out due to lack of fat, better to use caution with them. 

Cap up or down is an age old debate...I've done both, no difference for me. 

Just my opinion....hopefully you'll get a response you're comfortable with.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• EgginATL42
    Options
    Here's some pics of what I picked up.
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Here's the plated product. I had it on at about 250 for 7 hours. A little mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, and coffee for the rub. Good bark, good smoke ring, good flavor. Probably could have let or cook another 45 minutes to an hour, but not bad for my first go.