Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okie Eggfest - Apps Galore

Options
I'm baaaack!! So yes, I still am around and cook on the Big Green Eggs a few times a week. I took a new job and just have not had the time to make the kind of posts I like. 

Anyways Saturday the 25th was the 2nd Annual Okie EggFest at Tony's Tree Plantation in South Oklahoma City. They even used my small egg with the Sooner Schooner Handle as the picture for the fest on their website!

Tony's did a great job and has quite the setup for an event like this, the cooks even got $100 gift card to help with groceries!! Last year (and my last post...sorry) was our 1st Eggfest and we made Okie Eggfest - Mojo Tacos and decided 5 hours for some turbo pork butt was too long and we wanted to keep everything under an hour of cook time. 

So first we had to have our good friend Skully help us practice in the backyard. 

After a few trial runs we nailed down our menu and were all prepped for the fest. As I said Tony's is quite the place! 

Here is our setup, we found out they had an 2nd large for us to cook on too! 

I just love the fresh egg look!

We decided to bring the platesetter and our Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack to help cook all the apps. 

First up was Cinnamon Rolls which were a big hit and a nice change of pace from all of the meat. Bar S Foods donated a few cases of sausage so we had those going all day and that is what is on the bottom rack. The new Hickory bacon and Swiss Sausage was the crowd favorite. 

Next up was the Pizza Meatballs which were probably our most popular dish and we definitely could have made triple what we did and still give them all away. Of course I did not get a picture. But it did happen I swear! 

Now most of the people that come to the Okie Eggfest are brand new to the egg. So while we did not go crazy with recipes, we made some good stuff. We just used some Meat Church Honey Hog Hot seasoning on some Wings and smoked them. I first saw Meat Church on BBQ Pitmasters cooking on an egg, those guys make some great rubs! 

Next was Pig Shots always a crowd favorite and we were surprised how few of the people knew what they were. So it was a good thing we made them!

Around 1pm Papa Murphy's came by with a huge stack of take and bake pizzas so we threw a pizza stone in the 2nd egg and had a pizza on the egg for the rest of the afternoon. Then finally we made a couple of Chile Crusted Pork Tenderloins with a Blackberry Glaze. Here we have a Thai Chicken Pizza and some Cheddar Hot Links with the tenderloin. 

It was a great day, now we want to check out some other EggFest to pick up some tricks to make it a little less exhausting! I definitely want to taste the other cooks food more next time. Of course we will definitely do it again next year! 

The guy that was getting our demo egg told me he hoped the egg had a memory so he can recreate the dishes, I'll take that complement any day of the week!

They didn't have a MiniMax, but they did have an XXL that thing is HUGE! I couldn't get over how big the platesetter is! 

I spoke to the BGE distributor about the MiniMax. He said his market (Missouri and Oklahoma) will be getting their truck on the 6th of November then each store will get one egg, he was under the impression most places will keep the first egg to demo and help pre-sell others. Then each place will get 6-7 minimax eggs between now and the end of the year, if they are lucky. However after the first of the year they will have truckloads of them! So 2015 is looking more realistic, at least for the smaller markets like where I live.
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's like you had a great time! Welcome back

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That all looks incredible.

Do you have a recipe for pizza meatballs?   Those sound interesting.

NOLA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Great post buddy. Welcome back.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks @RAC & @shtgunal3 Hopefully I can post a little more often now. It was a fun event. 

@buzd504 basically:
    1 ½ lbs pork sausage (we used blue and gold)
    1 lb cooked bacon (we chopped it in a food processor) 
    chopped pepperoni
    1 bag shredded mozzarella 
    italian seasoning 
    salt 
    pepper
    garlic powder
    marinara to dip it in

Of course you can have more or less of any of the ingredients to fit your own tastes. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Welcome back! Good looking cooks there. I'm sure the crowd enjoyed your cooking.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q‌ it was a fun day! I felt like I answered more questions than I cooked. So I am very thankful my dad and my cousin's 15 year old son were there to pick up my slack!
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    @Solson005  I was at the EggFest on Saturday.  You are right, great venue.  I had a group of 8 that came up from Norman.  We hovered around your spot for a while and appreciated your comments on how the egg worked for a few of my buddies.

When we got back to Norman, my best friend decided he needed to take the leap and we went an got him a large.  Broke it in on Saturday night.  Eggs are a pretty easy sell when they are eating great food right to ff the grill!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @Solson005:  Any idea how many tasters were at the fest?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Solson005
    Options
    That's great @scott805 glad I could help, it was a whirlwind of a day. Feel free to reach out if you or your buddies have any other questions.

@EggObsessed‌ I would guess a couple hundred, it was kind of hard to tell if it was the same people coming up multiple times or new people. My head was on a swivel all day.. We put out tons of food and if we had made more it all would have been gone too! The only complaint I heard was a few people who didn't get to try the pizza meatball, so I'll take that as a success!
  • Solson005
    Options