Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neglected my egg for a bit

Options
Guys - I'm embarrassed about this one but oh well, sh-t happens. I didn't cook on the egg for some time and I've got a little case of mold. Also in the process of opening it, the seal came off in the back. I'm thinking a hot fire will solve the mold issue. Should I replace the seal?
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Yes.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yes, replace the gasket. How old is your egg?
    If under 1 year, replacement is free.

Clean burn the mold.
  • Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
    Options
    Egg is several years old. In fact I bought it used. Order seal online and DIY install?
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Contact @rrp he will help you out.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I would say you definitely have a little case of mold! I would run the whole egg down after a hot burn with a ball of tinfoil. You might want to clean your grate in a utility sink with some antibacterial soap. Good luck man.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wow! How long did it sit? I was out of town for almost 3 months this summer (unplanned) and mine didn't look THAT bad when I got home!!

My gasket was fine. I have a Rutland so I expect that to outlive me. Even if they give you a free gasket, get a Rutland.

A relatively short 5-600* burn got rid of the fuzzies. Just cook it til it's gone, then scrub with balled up foil.

And try to cook more. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shrek
    Options
    For the love of Pete, does my Egg have Ebola??? Check out what's happening outside while I cook off the mold inside!!
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • Shrek
    Options
    .... that "sweat" was not there before....
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Take bleach and water to it.  It will be fine.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Shrek
    Options
    @Carolina it hasn't been 3 months!  Thanks for the Rutland tip.. just ordered on Amazon!
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Shrek said:

@Carolina it hasn't been 3 months!  Thanks for the Rutland tip.. just ordered on Amazon!

Hmm, the Amazon comes with Rutland adhesive, doesn't it? Not the stuff you want. Permatex ultra copper is what you want for adhesive. Hardware or auto parts store. Most folks buy from RRP on here. He sells the exact length for your size egg, no Rutland adhesive and complete instructions. Probably cheaper too, but I don't know.

You did get the 5/8" flat tape, right?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    You are correct, Michael! Thanks for the assist. I've replied to him 3 times now...could be with him being a new poster my reply notification has hit his spam file, however his PM to me got delivered.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I would say you definitely have a little case of mold! I would run the whole egg down after a hot burn with a ball of tinfoil. You might want to clean your grate in a utility sink with some antibacterial soap. Good luck man.
    No arguments on cleaning the grate in the sink, but if he does a single burn in the egg, no need for anti-bacterial soap.  400F should be more than enough to kill any bacteria.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Shrek
    Options
    But can anyone tell me what's going on outside?  I understand its fixable but I want to know WHAT & WHY that is?!?!
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just moisture & grease seepin out.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Dude I've never seen anything like what's going on on the outside of your egg. That's crazy weird.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • XC242
    Options
    Could it also be mold?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Egg is porous. It happens. Just clean it off and cook some more. Simple Green works. Maybe just dish soap and warm water. No worries.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I don't know for sure...but do you think the mold "spores" went out of the top and settled back on the outside

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    I don't know for sure...but do you think the mold "spores" went out of the top and settled back on the outside
    No. Elbow grease and happy egging!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    My egg did the same thing on the outside just the other day and I didn't have mold. I think it's just grease sweating out of the pores. I ate food off of it and I'm not dead yet!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Mine did that once. Maybe not that bad but it did... I learned my lesson, I cook on it multiple times a week. The "sweat" will go away after a few cooks. Just wash it off with dish soap. You might want to look underneath the egg as well...

Options
    Both the mold inside and the mess outside can occur when the egg hasn't been used in a long time and environment is humid. After the clean burn and life will be good and your next cook will be fine. Don't shortcut the clean burn. Let the egg get fully cleaned out. Some Dawn on a sponge will clean up the outside.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Shrek
    Options
    Hot fire & thorough cleaning inside & out with hot water & bleach...  Rutland gasket en route...  Thanks guys for talking me off the ledge!  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Looks like new, er used.  Glad to see it back in working order.   Now cook some meat on it.  
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • XC242
    Options
    Looks great - Egg On!