Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get a good smoke ring on my brisket using an XL

Options
I Have done about 8 briskest this summer and fall. I have tried chunked wood and chips both together and separate. I can't manage to get a smoke ring and I feel it could use a little more smoke. I have good smoke coming out the top for about an hour. Any ideas?

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Here is n article to explain smoke ring formation. Tweak your setup to maximize these things. Also layer your wood chunks throughout the lump for longer smoke times. Start brisket as cold as possible since smoke ring formation quits at 140 surface temp. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/smoke-rings.html

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you really care you can take a 1% mix of nitrite to kosher salt rub it on and leave for 15 minutes. wash off and proceed.Another trick is to put the thawed, rubbed brisket in the freezer for 1/2 an hour before putting it on the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• deekortiz3
    Options
    Great tips above. The article posted is right on point. 

I've never used Tender-Quick or Nitrite though.

I agree with the others, start with a cold piece of meat. I use 2-3 chunks (not soaked). In the 2-3 chunks is a chunk of Cherry to help with ring color. I stabilize temperature with the plate-setter in. 

When I am ready I pull the plate-setter and put wood chunks directly on top of the fire. I put the plate-setter back in, put in and fill drip pan (over-sized turkey roaster size) with room temperature juice. Put grid and meat on top and let it go.