Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dudes,[p]Any suggestions on cooking a 6-8 lb butt on the small egg. What should I do about the grease, temp, etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    eggsaronious,[p]probably, the biggest problem you will have is loading it with enough lump from what I have heard. Better have wicked good and (I think) the extruded coconut are the long burners. If you use preburned lump, you can throw the meat on there right away and you won't be waisting lump waiting for it to burn off.[p]just thinkin[p]Scott

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    eggsaronious,
    Eggor has a good start on the lump. AS far as the meat goes you will need a drip pan and a v-rack. bring the dome temp to 250º and let it stabilize. Rub with your favorite rub.then cook 1 and a half to 2 hours a pound. Hope you have a polder type meat thermometer. Cook till the internal meat temp is 200º. Remove, wrap in foil and place it in a cooler for at least an hour. And as long as 5 hours. When you're ready pull and serve. Good luck.

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    Sundown,
    V-rack, drip pan, platesetter and raised grid I have. I've read and read but can't tell on set up. I know to each his own taste but a little confused. Do I set the v-rack directly in the drip pan? or does the drip pan go on the platesetter? or drip pan go on original grid with butts on raised grid? Help is greatly appreciated![p]Thanks!
    Jake

• Jake,
    Either way. I would use the grate drip pan and v-rack in teh drip pan. You're going to need all of the lump you can get it. and the[;ate setter will eat space.