Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin Advice

Bojangles
Bojangles Posts: 118
edited October 2014 in Beef
I swung by the butcher, wanting to try something I haven't made before.  Beef tenderloin sounded fun, but I'm only cooking for 2.5 people tonight, so while cooking the whole tenderloin seemed more exciting, it was excessive for my needs.  I had him trim 3 10oz steaks out and wrap them in bacon. 

The plan is to serve them tonight, each plated with a red chile pork tamale, pinto beans, and fresh haricot verts.

I have yet to decide which method of preparation I'd like to use.  While involving the Egg is an obvious desire, I'm not opposed to using another method.  Tools available are the Egg, gas griddle, oven, stove, etc

I'm looking for suggestions, tips, tricks, etc.  Any input will be appreciated, and of course, pics will follow.
Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
--------------------------------------------
my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.

Comments

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    There is no reason to use anything other than your BGE!  I fixed bacon-wrapped filets a month or so ago they were very, very good.  I believe I cooked them at about 450, turning frequently. The family was happy that night.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    thanks @itsmce

If I go the Egg route, I was thinking reverse sear, but I'm wondering if that will incinerate the bacon wrap...?
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I don't really like bacon on my filets but I absolutely love to reverse sear them, it's my favorite technique.  I've never tried a bacon wrapped filet in reverse sear but the sear part is so brief that I don't imagine the bacon would burn.  If it was me, I'd try it and then just peel the bacon off it is does burn, but I think it'd be fine.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    MMM mmm BACON!!!

And filet's aren't bad either.  LOL
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I just did similar last weekend with the egg at 250 till 115 then to the smokin hot griddle. Perfection
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos