Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Protecting the Egg table

Options
I've had my Egg in a table (ash, I think but not sure) for a number of years. Ive tried an number of finishes to protect the table but nothing seems to last for more than a season.

I tried Spar Varnish, but that wore off. I tried oiling the table with mineral oil, but that also seemed to dissipate after a season.  

How do y'all protect your tables?

Thanks!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My table is saturated with epoxy resin with a Helmsman spar urethane finish.  I'm going on year three and it looks new, but I'm under a cover. 

You want a cover regardless of what you have.  There are very high quality spar finishes for the marine industry that might buy you two or three more years uncovered in a hostile climate, but I would expect you need to refinish every year or two if you just use Helmsman spar varnish.  And you need to put on three coats minimum and sand between coats.
    Options
    SS table with either a form fit cover or a pop-up. Looking to redo the area with a roof over with exhaust but it works.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Any wood outside will need refinished/touched up every couple of years. There are some automotive clear coats that are uv resistant, but they are hard to apply and expensive. Like @nolaegghead‌ said - three coats of spar sounds good, with a light sand and refinish in the spring. If you cover it the table will last a lot longer. It's UV rays that destroy the finish and then the table.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I UV kills wood no matter what sealer. Best to have a cover
  • Cello Guy
    Options
    Here is my table.  5 years old and the finish has been touched up once.  I only use Epifanes Spar.  The table is in Fort Mill, SC where sun is a factor.image
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @Cello Guy is that table in an umbrella stand?  did you make that?
  • Cello Guy
    Options
    Yes,  I made it out of quartersawn white oak. The tiger stripes do show in the picture. 
    The little round table is the wood from the egg hole, glued together and I did use an umbrella stand as a base.  You have to go with what you got...