Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May have a window to cook on Sunday

I may have some time to cook on the Egg Sunday early afternoon until about 3 but wont be able to eat what I make until later that evening after 7:30.

If I were to precook come meals on Sunday what can I make that can be reheated and still taste like it came off the egg later that night and later in the week?  Chilli might go on but looking for other meals.

Steaks and chicken will be dried out if I reheat later on in the microwave.

Food has to be low calorie, low fat and healthy.

If I was going to eat while the food was still hot off the egg I was considering some hanger steaks that we have in the freezer.  We also have some port tenderloins I could cook but after cooking and putting them in the fridge they will get dried out.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    May try a turkey meatloaf - Any tips on how not to dry it out?

Garnerville, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    This one is a little bit involved but turned out crazy good http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21535/unbelievably-moist-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • robnybbq
    That was close to what I was going to do.  Mushrooms are a must to add flavor. 

The last real meatloaf I made I stuffed with shrooms and cheese and it was amazing.  But using turkey meat instead of was affraid of it being to dry.

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I spatched a small chicken a few days ago. McCormicks no salt lemon pepper seasoning, 400, raised direct. For me only.

Meal one (leg, thigh and one wing) was hot off the grid.
    Meal two (lunch, leg only) was excellent cold.
    Meal three (half a breast) was sliced and heated in the oven, wrapped in foil at 350* and was as good as fresh cooked.
    Meal four, the other half of the breast (foil/oven).
    Meal five, half a thigh for today's lunch.

The lunches were chicken only. For the dinners, I opened a can of crushed tomatoes and heated them with some creole seasoning (homebrew, no salt). My new favorite side! Also, a bag of frozen peas (no sodium) and sautéed shallots, same creole seasoning. Oh, I also had some low sodium navy beans in there somewhere. Those weren't as good as all the rest. Need to work on seasoning.

I still have a breast, a wing and half a thigh left. At least two meals. Might make some chicken salad with some of it. My kind of eating... I only have to cook once and I can eat for days!! And no, I'm not starving. No bread or potatoes either.

Gotta go now - off for 15-20 miles on the bike. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• robnybbq
    If it happens on Sunday I will post what I cook.  Partially leaning towards the chilli and a a turkey meatloaf if I can fit them on the Egg at the same time.

My daughter wants a spatchcock chicken but that's a direct cook compared to the indirect chilli/meatloaf.  So I may not get the chilli/meatloaf anyways and I will be back to square one.  I do not want chicken for myself - sick of it.

I have some hanger steaks on the freezer but cooking them on Sunday morning and eating them on Tuesday or later in the week would probably be a waste sitting in the fridge and wont be the same..

I need to find a way to get time in a day.  Let's see what happens.

Garnerville, NY
  • LOL, I opened this to see how you would/cook a window.  Direct/indirect and what rub.  More interesting would have been serving suggestions.

• robnybbq
    A little butter helps it all go down.

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Both meatloaf and chili are good for re-heating. I've mentioned this before, but its worth repeating. Add a packet of unflavored gelatin to the meatloaf mix, and let it all chill before cooking. The gelatin will liquify when heated, and substitute for lost moisture and limited fat.

Not long ago I made some stuffed Cornish hens, which I've read these days are just very young chickens. First they were marinaded, and then stuffed with a very savory mixture, and left to sit in the fridge for a day. The flavors of the marinade and stuffing permeated the little birds, and being so small, they cooked quickly. Something like that may make chicken a little more palatable for you.

A good way to save make ahead meats is to seal them in plastic bags, vacuumed is best, along w. their juices. Then toss those into a slow cooker on low.

• robnybbq
    The reheat process is the problem.  They will be microwaved to due to time.

I'll look for the gelatin for the meatloaf.

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    IMO I think you should take a look at sous vide.  Yes, even meatloaf can be cooked sous vide.
    canuckland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    robnybbq said:
    The reheat process is the problem.  They will be microwaved to due to time.

I'll look for the gelatin for the meatloaf.

Thanks
    Mix the gelatin w. a bit of broth if you have some on hand. Adds flavor as well as the smooth gel feel.
  • robnybbq
    IMO I think you should take a look at sous vide.  Yes, even meatloaf can be cooked sous vide.
    How does that help?  I dont have the time to cook during the week.  Not leaving something cooking when I am not home.

Garnerville, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    That's the whole point of sv ... cooking without watching.  Google on it.  For example, a 'signature' sous vide cook is beef short ribs cooked unattended for 72 hours.
    canuckland