Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Top and Bottom used to line up...

...but, on a cook today I noticed they didn't.
What is the easiest way to adjust this?  My two big bolts in the back bent during initial assembly (as stated as normal in assembly instructions) so I'm guessing I can't loosen those without having to back them out and replace them. 

I noticed it when I closed it up...

Had to make a compromise for today since there is already a cook in progress.  I'm sure this stresses something that isn't supposed to be stressed, but I had to do something and a bucket of water on the handle seemed to do the trick!

NOTE - I have since lowered the bucket so it is just off the ground and away from the vent.  No heat contact.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Was it holding temp before you noticed it and put the bucket on it?

Little Rock, AR

• KiterToddKiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Was it holding temp before you noticed it and put the bucket on it?
    Yes...but, I was still bringing it up to temp and had the vents open more than usual.  I didn't really notice it until I threw the wood chunks on, though.   Now that the bucket is on and the temp is stable I have locked down the vents quite a bit and it is holding 350ish.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Nice Gerry-Rig... LOL ... If mine gets out of wack I unbolt it reset it on the base and tighten ... I did put a small shim in the backend that allowed the top to push forward just a bit and it created enough forward weighting to recenter it.

Good Luck and Good Eats

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mine is a bit off since I got it. I'm over trying to fix it it does not matter.
    Seattle, WA
    SkinnyV said:
    Mine is a bit off since I got it. I'm over trying to fix it it does not matter.
    Well, I don't mind the overlap, the issue with mine is now it is not air tight.  There is a gap that didn't used to be there.  Making contact in the back and not the front...
    LBGE/Maryland
    I think it self corrected.   Here is the same gasket at the end of the cook....

Maybe the 2.5 gallon water bucket had something to do with it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 2,132
    My guess is that your lower band got hot and slipped a little. I had the same thing happen to me on a 400 degree cook a month or so ago. The next day, I loosened the bolt a little and slid up the band, then gave the band bolts a couple more turns tighter. It's been fine since. I replaced my base over the summer and I hadn't checked the bolts in a while.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Sixpack1Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Here is a you tube video that might help you out...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!