Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My very 1st spatchcock (SBGE)

I normally don't eat chicken on the bone. I know I'm weird as hell but that's just me. Anyway I've been wanting to do a spatched chicken for some reason so here we go. I spatched it this morning and rubbed with John Henry's Aloha poultry and fish rub. Gonna throw it on the small @ 400 raised direct with a chunk of cherry. I'm thinking I'll shred the finished product and use for chicken sandwiches or chicken salad or something. SWMBO is a weirdo that only eats boneless chicken too. I'll post more pics as the cook progresses.image

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Nice start. That is one clean grid.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Thanks @Mickey‌ . Don't let the clean grid fool you, that small egg gets used a lot!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    59 minutes and 165 breast/185 thighimage

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Nice job on the bird it will make some good chicken sandwiches 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Looks great.  If you won't - pass me a thigh.....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • shtgunal3
    Thanks for the positive comments guys. I haven't shredded yet but I did taste a small piece off of the breast and it taste great.

• shtgunal3
    And shredded/chopped...image

I didn't eat much because I just finished a steak but this chicken tastes great.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks like some good eats comin your way. I am just the opposite of you and the no bone. I try to get bone in every time I cook chicken. I usually just buy a whole chicken and break it down,use what I need and freeze the rest.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    @Mattman3969‌ I think it comes from all the chickens we killed, cleaned, and ate as a kid. Sometimes we would kill 20-30 at a time and freeze them. We were always eating fried chicken.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Very good looking bird!!!  That will make some excellent sammies.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Great looking spatch! I can't remember the last time I cooked boneless chicken breasts. We have gone to bone-in only at our house since discovering spatchcock as well. (like @Mattman3969)

@shtgunal3 - I'm sure your chicken salad will be fantastic.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • shtgunal3
    Thanks guys... We don't eat the skin either. Does anybody ever skin the bird pre-cook or will that cause it to dry out?

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I can accept the whole boneless part but not eating the skin...I think I just fainted.  LOL  IMO it would cause the chicken to dry out.  I'm sure there is probably a way to do it though without it happening.  Maybe a quick high heat sear to lock in all the juices.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • shtgunal3
    I threw the skin away with the bones.

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Big boneless skinless breasts don't dry out, so I assume skinning the spatch won't change anything except the flavor.

When I season a chicken, I use my finger to get the seasoning between the meat and the skin. That way, when we discard the skin it doesn't take all that flavor away with it.

I've had best chicken ever by brining for at least 4 hours prior to seasoning/cook. Remove the back bone, place it in a non-porous container big enough to cover it with water.

Mix a cup of pickling or kosher salt, a cup of sugar, and 3/4 cup soy sauce to a gallon of hot water, hot enough to dissolve the salt and sugar, is all. Let that brine cool off, and cover the chicken with it for a few hours in the fridge. 

The difference between brined chicken and just tossing it on the grill is like the difference between eating and dining. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• shtgunal3
    @DieselkW‌ I have brined boneless skinless breast before and you're right it does make a difference. I will have to try your brine recipe on a spatchcock sometime. Thanks

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    No problem removing the skin pre-cook. As long as you don't overshoot the temp in the white meat, no worries with drying out.

Of course you could save the skin and make chicken cracklins...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    I have cooked skin on and off. Like @dmw said as long as you don't overshoot your temp it is very juicy. With that said I leave the skin on and season between skin and meat and externally. I like the skin my wife doesn't so her skin gets pulled. This is not s problem cause she only like the white me and I'm a thigh kinda guy so I pull the thighs and then skin her breast meat. Well that didn't sound right but you know what I mean.

analyze adapt overcome

• shtgunal3
    @Mattman3969‌ I'm a breast man myself but do like to pull a thigh on occasion myself. ;)

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    It's your decision how you eat and I respect you for it,,, but that chicken was beggin to be eaten skin and all right off the bone...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • shtgunal3
    @XC242‌ I understand bro but I think we all have a weak stomach for some things. I have a weak stomach when it comes to eating any kind of poultry on the bone. I can do pork or beef on the bone just not poultry.

• Thanks for the post. Chicken looks awesome. Like the idea of the rub underneath the skin. Does putting butter under the skin prevent drying or add moisture. I've seen it done. Wondered if it really did anything?
  • shtgunal3
    @zerolimit‌ thanks man. I did pull the skin back and put a little rub on the breasts and then layed the skin back down. I'm not sure about the butter. Maybe somebody who has tried it will chime in.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    @shtgunal that's okay, we understand. Just saying,, you nailed that bird.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks fantastic @shtgunal3, I have not tried a spatchcock on my small yet.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • shtgunal3
    @JRWhitee‌ thanks man I'll definitely do it again. May do a turkey breast soon too.

• Mattman3969
    I would rather have turkey over chicken any day. I like the breast and thighs but not so much on the legs. Way too many tendons for me. I would eat it more but it is hard to find good turkey around outside of TG season.

analyze adapt overcome

• shtgunal3
    @Mattman3969‌ it's hard to find here too.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Good lookin Spatch :-bd Skin looks nice and crisp with great color. Nice job.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL