Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has my bacon spoiled? cold smoking/cure question

Options
This is my 5th round of bacon this year (so far with great success) and this time i decided to do an overnight cold smoke. i cured for 8 days this time as the slabs werent quite firm like i wanted after 7 days, much better at 8.

Im not an expert at meat science so wanted to get some help. turns out the amaze-n.smoker went out approx 1-1.5 hours into the overnight. ugh! i woke up this morning to no smoke and only the first half of the first row burned. the slabs were in the egg about 7 hours and overnight temps were probably 65 degrees. Has the meat spoiled overnight just sitting there? i am hoping the cure kept this from happening. i went ahead and started the smoking again to not lose more time, but wanted to check with the experts here.

thanks for the advice

Woodstock, GA

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    If the slabs are fully cured, it's fine. 

Are you using pellets?  If so, grind them to sawdust or change to Todd's Ama-Z-N Dust or Smokinlicious Dust for future use.  Many have reported issues with the pellets staying lit.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hogman348
    Options
    thanks for the reply. using pellets and other than this attempt (and first overnight vs watching during the day) i havent had a problem with it going out. i light it with a hand held maptorch and get the coals glowing well about 3 inches in.

guess ill let my drooling neighbor try this batch first. if he lives, its good for me too. ;)

Woodstock, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would say you are fine.  The curing salt takes care of the spoiling bacteria.  If you were making Pancetta, it is not smoked at all, just hung to dry for a week.  This is not much different.  Here is a post from Ruhlman that should make you feel better.

FWIW, I have not had any trouble keeping the pellets lit, I light the Amaz N Smoker with my MAP torch
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Hogman348 said:
    thanks for the reply. using pellets and other than this attempt (and first overnight vs watching during the day) i havent had a problem with it going out. i light it with a hand held maptorch and get the coals glowing well about 3 inches in.

guess ill let my drooling neighbor try this batch first. if he lives, its good for me too. ;)

No prob.   It's that occasional nuisance I would have issues with even though you could refrigerate and repeat the next night.  Never had a fire snuff out with the dust.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."