Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Baked Beans

Options
I'm going to use a Dutch Oven on the Egg for the first time and I'm wondering how to set it up.

I figure I'll sauté some bacon and onions on the range, then load the Dutch Oven with the rest of the ingredients and move it out to the Egg for a low and slow.

I saw some people put the Dutch Oven right on the platesetter.  Is that the recommended technique?  I also assume I should leave the lid of the DO off initially so the beans can get some smoke.

Am I on the right track?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I personally would go with platesetter legs up and grid on platesetter and then DO on grid. I'm sure some will agree and others will have another way. No right or wrong way as with most things egged.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Thanks @shtgunal3.  That's what I had in mind, too

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I would also cook the bacon in the Dutch oven. Save all that wonderful bacon fat for the beans.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lilwooty
    Options
    I don't put mine directly on the plate setter.  You are on track about leaving the lid off of the DO for a few hours though.  Just keep an eye on the level of liquid in the pot.  Don't let her get too low.  I find myself adding a little water here and there.  Then put the lid back on when they start breaking down and the liquid had thickened up some.  Beans in the egg is the only way to go.

Living Large and XL

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I just did chili in a cast iron DO and did the whole cook direct, no plate setter. You can cook your bacon to render fat and saute` your veggies in your DO on the Egg, at 350 degrees then add your beans, reduce your heat and simmer uncovered till done
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I would also cook the bacon in the Dutch oven. Save all that wonderful bacon fat for the beans.
    I think he was planning on doing that, he was doing the sauteing in the DO, just on the range inside.  Farbuck, if that wasn't your original intent, I agree with this 100%. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Agree with above- if you have room then just use the rack and put the DO on that.  I use the DO in my small sometimes and I just use some spacers to raise it off the plate setter a little.  My eggs came with the little green feet so I use those. 

I leave the lid off the DO the entire time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Check this thread. Fishlessman is the baked bean guru... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1513755#Comment_1513755 There's a pic of his bean pot collection. :) And a recipe. And how to cook em.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut