Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer brats

Options
One of these days I will get ahead of the curve but for now everyone's cooks look so old that I need to try them out. Sorry for not giving proper due but I don't recall who did them. As for the meal I placed the brats in the pan and covered with sliced onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Then poured a couple cans of beer over it all. Placed on grid at 400 and cooked till almost done. Then took them out and seared the brats while the veggies finished up. I know this is sacrilege and I might get blasted for it but I have never been a fan of beer. Always been a hard alcohol type of guy. Given that the brats tasted delicious and the veggies were perfect. Slight beer taste without the bitter aftertaste. Baked beans and Mac and cheese sides were just thrown in. imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
Joe- Strongsville, OH

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Wow I just can't get this stuff right. Too many pics and meant to say that everyone's cooks look good not old!!!!! Cook came out good post...fail.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks like a winner dinner to me. Great way to make brats and makes it easier to avoid splitting the brats. What kind of brats did you use? I ask because the picture makes me wonder if they were the pre-cooked kind that are more like hot dogs. Like how straight they are. Usually, sausages and brats stuffed in hog casings tend to have a curve to them and are a bit more plump. Nothing wrong with yours, just wondering. Regardless, good job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks great. Just delete the bottom pictures. No worries.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Now that is a man size plate of food..Dang that looks Awesome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.
    @Griffin‌ the brats were Johnsonville stadium brats. The wife picked them up. Not what I normally get but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
    @henapple‌ how do I delete the bottom pictures? I press the button to insert the image and then press delete but nothing happens.
    @johnmitchell‌ every now and then I can hold my own. I even had another half brat that the wife didn't finish up. It was part of her second so the meal must have been good...
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Griffin
    Options

Nothing wrong with that. I cooked up some of their Beddah with Cheddah awhile back. Hadn't had them in ages. Not gourmet, but they hit the spot. image

Rowlett, Texas

• jcaspary
    Options
    Those look fantastic.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Griffin - glad to see I'm not the only one who can't keep 'em from splitting. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    IMO, that's the best way to do brats. I add a couple nice dollops of butter too since it seems to do something. I'm not culinarian but it's butter so who cares what it does.  And I've never had a Beddar with Cheddar that didn't split. Not that it matters cause they're stupidly good.  
  • Griffin
    Options
    @GATraveller right? My attention was on the Baylor game, if I'm not mistaken, and not on the dogs.

Rowlett, Texas

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @jcaspary Looks delicious.  I know this is also sacrilege to say, but I love Johnsonville brats and Italian sausages. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • qprhooligan
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Thanks for the comments. @Griffin‌ the brats were Johnsonville stadium brats. The wife picked them up. Not what I normally get but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

We love Johnsonville Stadium brats.