Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Two Briskets on XL

Options

Will be preparing two briskets for Friday night.  Haven't bought them yet, but they will likely be in the 10-12lb range. I'm hoping I can get them on a single rack. Does anyone know if I can get both of them on a single rack, and was wondering if the time to cook is any different if cooking only one.

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Yes, you should be able to fit both on the single grid. Here's 2 (probably in the 12-13 lb range) on a single 20" grid.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Try to avoid having the ends of them sitting above the direct heat areas where the platesetter or other indirect piece ends.

I haven't found cooking two to add any substantial time to cook. However, they're both not likely to finish up at the exact same time.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Don_Piero
    Options
    That's great, thanks R2 for your comments.  I've got the summer hockey guys coming over Friday night, and my cigar buddies on Saturday night.  I'll have the same menu for both nights, Brisket, Beans and Beer, so by Saturday, I should be better prepared than on the Friday.  
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Multibrisket cook is easy on XL ., if you can't stack 'em with a multigrid system, both should be side by side and put foil on the areas that would be exposed to rising direct heat (even if it's from a distance ie. raised up a little).  Also, make sure you have a drip pan with liquid in it.  Put your favorite sweet beer in the pan with some chopped up onions, a few apples and a clove of crushed garlic. 

1.5 Hrs per lb of the larger brisket and the other will come along for the ride

Temp at 235F

Have fun. 

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    having a pre hockey night got love it dont forget the pictures hope you home made beeans for the team 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Don_Piero
    Options
    Thanks westernbbq!  1.5hrs / lb - I'll be up early in the morning to get it started for a 7pm dinner.
    cook861 said:
    having a pre hockey night got love it dont forget the pictures hope you home made beeans for the team

Our summer hockey ended earlier this month, but the original friday night bbq had to be cancelled due to rain. This Friday's and Saturdays's forecast looks to be great. The beans will be homemade.