Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Ribeye

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a whole ribeye tomorrow (well, almost whole, i.e., 11 #). Planning on applying rub in the morning, back in refrigerator until ready to put on egg, Then, sear on all sides 2 minutes, then cook indirect over plate setter at 300 degrees. Is this long enough for the sear, and does 30 minutes per pound sound about right for medium rare?
Thank you in advance......
John

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    egret,
    2 minutes at a 650-700 degree sear is good...
    800 and you might get char (unless you want that)[p]dunno bout the finishing roast time

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    egret, dont know about the length of time, but its best to use the thermometer for the inside temp. Being 11 pounds the center may be less done than the ends, but it will gain temp once you take it off. Id say pull it off at 125-130 in the middle is you want it med rare on the ends

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    egret,
    pull it out of the fridge a good hour before you put it in the egg to come to room temps....that is a very dense hunk o' cow you have there....[p]how i do them, is set up your egg at 500 degrees with grid set over inverted plate setter. ..put the roast in the egg and immediately tighten down the vents till you get to 325 - 350 dome temp (the time spent from 500 to 325 will give a nice sear - but not a char). ..then let her roast for about 15 minutes per pound for medium rare. . .pull at 125 internal temp and cover with aluminum foil for 20 minutes prior to carving (the temps will come up another 5 - 10 degrees. . ..[p]just my 2 cents. . .

• Grillicious
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, that's exactly what I did Christmas Day. Got it off your site, Mad Max Prime Rib. A great, and easy, way to do it.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Where's you website? I'm doing one tomorrow too. I have spent the last 3 days reading through the archives. I don't think I read yours, well maybe I did...[p]Joe
  • egret
    Options
    egret,
    Thank you all for your inputs. I'm leaning towards Max's method. I already had this recipe in my "recipes to try" file. The only thing that is worrisome is the timing such that it is ready at the appropriate time. I'll try to take some shots tomorrow and get back with results.......

• egret
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Here is the recipe for Max's method :

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/158216.htm[/ul]