Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Call for advice on Peat

Options
Not Pete. I don't need advice on Pete, Paul or Mat or Marky,

I mean using peat as a smoke source in cooking. There's quite a few posts on the merits of Scotch (Talisker, every time) but actually putting fish, foul or turf over peat smoke. Over here, in the soon-to-be-smaller disunited Kingdom, we love peat smoked mackerel, so that gave me the idea for trying it in the BGE.

Any wisdom welcome.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd probably wrap it up in a aluminum foil packet or get something like the A-Maze-N smoker rather than throwing it right on the coals.

On the Independence vote front, what is the news like over there(locally, outside of BBC and Reuters). Everything I am reading says it's neck and neck or the unionists are slightly ahead in polling.
  • nbak4bbq
    Options
    Okay,

So I tried some Irish peat smoking some mackerel and massively overdosed on the peat. It was okay, only just. It gives off a sort of liquorice smelling smoke that's way too rich unless in very small quantities. The only merit was it smoked at a low hear (under 100 c). Hey! Nothing ventured, right?

It's too close to call. I'm in London so it's strange to have a bunch of folk deciding about the Union for you somewhere else. It really pisses me off that nobody wants to ask me if I want to keep a 300 year old Union going. I really hope the Scots stay but I get it if they leave. Personally, I think they're crazy because they've been told they can't use the £ but the Nationalists have offered no alternative. My prediction: they'll threaten to go to Russian for a bale out if we don't let them keep the £ and we'll have to do that to avoid having a Russian sub in the Clyde.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I was going to ask if you were making a Single Malt.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI