Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First chicken on my LBGE....

Got a Large BGE for my birthday last weekend. My first wings and whole chicken today. I cooked them indirect and at 300 degrees. 2 hrs on wings. 2.5 hrs on the whole bird. My home made rub and mop sauce on both. They were both great!!!
LBGE   Summerfield, NC

Comments

• Welcome aboard! Hopefully the first of many awesome cooks. Do a search for spatchcock and you'll find an amazing method for whole chicken that will finish in half the time of your cook tonight.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,534
    +1 on Spatchcock.  Welcome.  Nice first cook.
    Looks great!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Looking good! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• RRog17RRog17 Posts: 393
    Thanks! I cooked them back to back so I could practice getting to a temp and holding it. I got it to 300 and held it perfectly for 5 hours then shut it down. Hope it's always that easy!
    LBGE   Summerfield, NC
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,418
    Welcome
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • Welcome aboard and great first cook!! The eggin might get easier but the eggcessories only get more $$$$ from here.

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MeTedMeTed Posts: 729
    Welcome, looks like a great cook and very nice pics. You may want to try spatchcock chicken, it seems to come out better for me.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • KiterToddKiterTodd Posts: 2,120
    Welcome!   The chicken was my first cook as well.

Then I found spatch.
    Once you go spatch, you never go back!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    Welcome. ..don't worry about spatchcock.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stemc33stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Welcome to the madness. Nice birthday gift. +1 on spatchcock. I noticed you referenced your cook in time vs temp. If you don't have a food thermometer, you might want to consider getting one on your next accessory purchase. Everything taste better when cooked to temp and IMO chicken is a must cook to temp food. To get the most taste from your chicken while being safe at the same time requires a thermometer. ThermoWorks has the Thermapen and ThermoPop. I use the ThermoPop. Whichever thermo brand or type you choose, I would recommend getting something that reads in less than 5sec. When your checking a few different items on the egg, it gets hot in a hurry.

Once again, welcome to the forum.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcasparyjcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Welcome aboard, the food only gets better from here.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,773
    Nice chicken and wings and welcome to our world. Am I missing something? Spatchcocked?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Welcome aboard...Great looking chicken and wings there...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 2,776
    +1 on spatchcock

Welcome! Awesome looking cook! Looks delicious.
  • Just wait until you do steaks! Welcome!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE