Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg lighting

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I normally use the BGE brand or quick starters, but it seems to be a very long process for me. I am still kind of new to the BGE world(about 5 to 6 months), but from finding this web forum I have learned quite a bit about using my egg. The only problem I am still a little inexperienced about is the lighting. I use to fill the fire box and the use a couple of bricks to try and light the grill. The last time I used the grill I started with just a few coals and added to it, but i ran out of lump 20 minutes before I was done with a cook. Maybe I didn't fill the fire box up enough, not really sure. Could it be my lighting process? Also, I've been in the archives, and saw people talking about the Mapp torches. Could one of these help me with learning to beter light my egg, or maybe a chimney starter? Just looking for hints on how to get better and faster. Thanks for any help you have.

Comments

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Pressed Meat,
    I've also just been at it for about 6 months. What I've had some success with is to kind of sort through the charcoal that is left from the last Cook, pick out the smaller stuff, add new as needed, light the 'small stuff' in a chimney-starter, then add to the Egg. You want the charcoal to be at the top of the fire-ring.
    Good luck...

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Pressed Meat,
    I always make sure I have adequate lump in the egg. Then I use a chimney starter I got at Lowes and fill it 3/4 full with lump. I then ball up 3 sheets of newspaper and put underneath the chimney. I light the paper thoroughly and place the chimney on top of the lump in the egg. In 10 minutes of less flames are coming thru the top of the chimney and its ready to dump in the egg.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    CJ,
    I think you mean the top of the Fire Box.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Pressed Meat,
    I use a MAPP torch but a propane one will work also, just a little slower. I light the lump in 5 spots, four around the outside and one in the center. About 15 seconds in each spot is all thats needed, so a little over a minute total time. Open the draft door, close the lid, remove the daisy wheel or rain cap, and keep a close eye on it. In about 10 minutes the temp should start to climb quickly. -RP

• AZRP,
    Is that with a full box of lump or do you add to it?

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Everyone seems to do it a little differently. You just have to find what works for you. I have tried everything but electric and weed burners. Recently converted back from a Guru Golf Club to Weber starter cubes.[p]Toy Man
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Pressed Meat,
    Unless I'm doing a very short (1 hr or less) cook, I like to have a full fire box. Adding fuel during the cook is not very easy to do on the Egg. To me, it is a lot easier to start with enough fuel. As long as you close it up tight when you are done cooking, you won't waste any fuel. -RP

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Pressed Meat,
    I'm all mapp gas torch user, I always top off the egg with new lump each cook, I also stir the old lump with my gate tool. I give it about 90 seconds of torch time and thats all

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Pressed Meat,[p]Here's my tips for lighting a perfect fire every time. [p]Keep posting until you're happy with your results![p]Chuck
    [ul][li]lighting your lump with MAPP gas[/ul]