Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

Options
I have a couple of questions on longer cooks i have always used a friends LBGE, I am planning on cooking my first butt. I have a medium egg and im hoping to cook in around 12 hours. Do you see a problem with burning through the lump? Also i am going to purchase a thermometer do y'all recommend the maverick or the chefalarm by thermoworks? Also whats your favorite rub.

Sorry for the long unorganized post.

Thanks 

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You shouldn't have a problem if you fill it to just below the plate setter or a little above the fire box. I did 2 pork butts turbo yesterday ranging from 350 to 400 for 600 hours and I still have a lot left. Now I have an XL, but your medium should be able to handle 12 hours no problem if you put enough lump in it. If you are are going low and slow the lump won't burn as fast either. Leave at least an 1" of air gap between the lump and bottom of the plate setter.

On thermometers, if you can afford Thermoworks I would go that way, but I got my dual gauge on Amazon and like it so far. Here it is.

Ivation Long Range Wireless Dual 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set - Monitor your Grill From up to 300 feet away most of the time. Now Amazon also has a nice pit controller for $139 for your size egg that would help keep temp better and monitor the meat temp at the same time. Lot of options here. Good luck and have fun.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    1. No problem with the lump.
    2. Maverick all the way!
    3. Very hard  to beat Bad Byron's Butt Rub!

Bon Chance!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options

I have gotten 8 hours on a small and 30 on a large, so I expect 12 on a medium should be no problem.  Like Ladeback69 says, fill it to just below your platesetter.  Enjoy your experience.