Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

greeneggpoc
greeneggpoc Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do my first prime rib on the egg on New Year's Eve. Any suggestions???

Comments

• greeneggpoc,
    here's how i do em. . ..note: you may not have the extra fat cap, but that doesn't matter as far as the rest of it goes (treatment/temps/times/etc.)

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome, not meant to offend or anything, but have you ever considered using thick sliced bacon to replace the fat cap? I'm not talking 'thick slice' from the package, but a good ¼" thick from the deli. Works great for me and gives a slight different, but good, flavor.[p]Rum

• Rumrunner,
    hi steve. .. no offense taken at all. .. . that fat capped roast was the first and only time i've gotten one quite like that. .. the butcher had done that and i didn't even realize it till i got it home. .. usually, the rib roasts i purchase have just the normal trimmed layer of fat across the top. . .sometimes there is enough to 'peel' back, insert some herbs and cover it back up, but not usually. .. . so i just spread the herbs/salt/pepper/evoo across the top, and poke some holes with a meet fork in it. ...i think that that is probably enough fat to self baste and keep the roast sufficiently moist. .. .i do however, like the idea of the bacon across the top. ..heck, how could that possible hurt anything and i'm sure it does add some good flavor?? . . .

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    greeneggpoc,
    If you sear, watch the flashback when opening back up. I can smell the burnt hair.........[p]And I had long gloves on.[p]I fixed 2 for the first time on Christmas Day and they came out perfect. I seared at 650 and then cooked the rest of the way at 325 over an inverted plate setter. Took off at 128 and they were a perfec....Medium Rare.....

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for the link. Was very helpful, and it sounds like a good plan! Keep on eggin!