Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy crust on pizza

Options
We have tried a couple times to get the thin pizza crust crispy like my wife likes it.  I have used Papa Murphy's pizza, on 400 degrees, indirect on pizza stone.  Then I tried 650 degrees with premade pizza crust on pizza stone indirect.  I used cornmeal on stone for sticking.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking using direct grilling on elevated grill at around 400 degrees.  Thanks, for any help.  Steve

Comments

• GrillinSailor
    Options
    Thin crust = crisp
    Hotter = crisp
    Not too much sauce and ingredients = crisp

Our favorite pizza place has a Neapolitan brick oven at 800 degrees. Too much sauce and ingredients soak through the crust.

There are some good thin crust dough recipes on youtube.

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Get the grill close to 500, let the stone preheat at this temp for 30 min minimum.  Which actually will result in the stone being in for close to 1 hour.  Put your pie on parchment paper, it works and is foolproof.  Put pie and parchment  on stone and cook anywhere from 7-12 minutes depending on amount of toppings.  This will make a crispy crust.  I am referring to homemade crust which is REALLY easy to do.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    I have found that you need to get the stone to be set at a high temp for it to make a crispy crust. In other words, the longer its in there the better crust you will get when its done cooking. If i cook 4 pizzas, the last one not only cooks faster than the first but it also has a better crust since the stone retains more of the heat over the course of the 30-45 min. Hope that makes sense. 
  • B&BKnox
    Options
    The above also refers to an indirect setup, legs up on the platesetter.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thin crust = crisp
    Hotter = crisp
    Not too much sauce and ingredients = crisp

Our favorite pizza place has a Neapolitan brick oven at 800 degrees. Too much sauce and ingredients soak through the crust. Also, let the stone get nice and hot. You can use a infrared thermometer to make sure it HOT!!! 

There are some good thin crust dough recipes on youtube.

This is the Key. Too much topping will ruin the crust. I am not the best but this is what I have leaned in my last few pizza cooks. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    You also have to let your stone get nice and hot. You can use an infrared thermometer to make sure. I have learned to be patient ; which has rendered my best pies.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    When you look at dough recipes pay attention to the temperature they are designed to be cooked at. I think you will find that most of the ready made doughs are for use in home ovens (400-500ºF).  Look for dough that is for high heat cooking.  It takes time for the pizza stone to soak up all the heat it can hold.  Give it plenty of time, and then give it some more.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• B&BKnox
    Options
    another tick is to place thin sliced mozzarella or provolone on top of the dough before applying the sauce this keeps the crust from getting soggy and hey whats wrong with more cheese.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the large tortillas, that works very well and gets crisp. Also I always use parchment paper the first min of cook. The direct raised also works.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SteveBGE
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your help. I will give the ideas a try and let you know.