Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

long-smoke strategies

Options
Hi there, all! Having a consistent issue with my Large BGE on long smokes, using wood chunks. Smokes like hell for the first hour or two, then it completely stops. Temp is solid at 225Fish, which means by the time the product comes off (9/10 times, it's brisket), but the level of smokiness isn't where I'd like it. Sure, I could just put more in over time, but with the plate setter and 10+ lbs of brisket on there! it's a pain in the ass- plus the added O2 while the lid is up raises the temp. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Comments

• biggreenmatt
    Options
    Also, I'm typing on my iPad; for some reason, the mobile version of the site doesn't like paragraphs, so it's not letting me add spaces in-between. Just saying!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Some people here will mix chunks in with the charcoal so it lights at different times during the cook.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    Options
    What Shiff said. Personally, I don't worry too much about it.

As for paragraphs, hit the return key twice so it looks right. The, on the blank line, type < BR > < BR > with no spaces. PITA but it works.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Even though you can't see it, you ARE getting wood smoke flavoring your cook. This is the best wood smoke to Q on.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    clear smoke is the best smoke.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter