Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I do wrong? Lamb cook

Options
Charles in SC
Charles in SC Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Christmas eve I cooked a boneless leg of lamb.
4 lbs, in a dutch oven lid off to save the juices for gravy.
Egg dome temp 375, cooked til I had 155 meat temp, about 1 hour 20 min. It looked beautiful, made gravy that was great.
The only problem is the meat was tough as shoe leather.
I have cooked quite a bit of lamb and never had one be tough.
It came from Sam's. I wonder if it could have been maybe a little older than what you would call a lamb. It had very little fat.
Any ideas on if I missed something?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Charles in SC,
    I've bought about 5 or 6 of those boneless legs of lamb from Sam's. I do them direct on raised grid about 350 until the inside is 145 to 150. So far, I haven't had a bad one.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Charles in SC,
    that's maybe 10 degrees higher than i think lamb can really take... i never go above 140-145[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Charles in SC,[p]I'm with 'stike' and 'Whiz' ... lamb is done at an internal temp between 140F and 145F.

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    stike,[p]I cook mine to 145 as well...
  • ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Charles in SC, I know that lamb is normaly cooked rare but could it be like I have heard about some meats, cook until it is done, then cook until it is tender?

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Charles in SC,[p]I cook lamb just like I do beef, so for me, it would have been done in the 130° - 135° range. Sounds to me you cooked it more like a pot roast and it was just overdone.[p]Give it another try...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Charles in SC,
    thats way over cooked for my tastes, i take it out of the egg between 123-127 depending on the size of the roast and let the temps rise on the counter.the meat toughens as you approach the 160's and the sweet taste changes to that mutton flavor that some like. if you slow cook the lamb you can cook it like a pork pull and it will fall apart, but then again theres that mutton type flavor.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Charles in SC,
    I'm with the others, 135-140 for a nice medium pink/red.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    2ab660b3.jpg
    <p />Charles in SC,[p]Lamb is one year old or less and is usually naturally tender so maybe the high cooking temperature combined with the dutch oven was the problem. The lamb was heated using conduction instead of convection. Lamb is kind of like prime rib, it just needs to be heated (not cooked) to your threshold of doneness.[p]I like direct cooks on a raised grate and I'm on the lower end of what the others said. 125° or so then resting. My Sam's carries New Zealand lamb and I actually prefer it to domestic.[p]Happy New Year
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    The Naked Whiz:[p]The Princess likes those boneless LOL from Sam's so much that I purchase them by the case. Plus, as you are aware, you get a discount with case purchases.[p]By the way, Sam's in Atlanta has good pricing on case pricing for pork tenderloins and baaby back ribs.