Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid doesn't fit anymore

Options
Hi all.
I recently received a new bottom for my Egg. Lots of cracks. Guaranteed so no problem there. My issue is that my lid doesn't even come close to sitting properly anymore. Very frustrating. The lid fits fine when the hinge is not attached but one I screw the thing on all goes to pot.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. The picture doesn't really show well.
I have tightened all the screws to the max.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

can't quite tell from the pics but:  Is your dome smaller in diameter than your base, or do you have more of an under bite (front of base extends beyond front of dome - backwards if looking at the hinge side)?

I don't KNOW the process, but I do know there IS a process to correct a mis-aligned base/lid..... maybe somebody else can chime in with that info for you.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    If you still have them, try putting the packing clips back on your hinge bolts.  It appears your hinge may be out of alignment.  If you can loosen the bolts and get the clips back on then tighten it could/should realign your hinge.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Hi all.
    I recently received a new bottom for my Egg. Lots of cracks. Guaranteed so no problem there. My issue is that my lid doesn't even come close to sitting properly anymore. Very frustrating. The lid fits fine when the hinge is not attached but one I screw the thing on all goes to pot.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated. The picture doesn't really show well.
    I have tightened all the screws to the max.
    Thanks in advance.

By "Lots of cracks" are you talking about the normal crazing in the glaze?  That's normal.  If the actual base itself is cracked, why would they have given it to you?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Oakville Egg
    Oakville Egg Posts: 27
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I did see the video someone posted and none of the solutions mentioned worked for me.  Very disappointing because I thought I had the answer there. As far as the cracking...I have posted some pictures below. Some serious stuff. The cracks went right through the egg. Could clearly be seen form the outside and inside the Egg. No problem with the guarantee. Thanks BGE Headquarters!
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sounds like it's just an alignment problem. Go to Youtube there are a couple of useful videos on how to correct your problem. I used them myself when I disassembled my lid to change out the gasket...  
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I did see the video someone posted and none of the solutions mentioned worked for me.  Very disappointing because I thought I had the answer there. As far as the cracking...I have posted some pictures below. Some serious stuff. The cracks went right through the egg. Could clearly be seen form the outside and inside the Egg. No problem with the guarantee. Thanks BGE Headquarters!
    Yup!  That's a crack.  Wow.  But like you say, the warranty usually comes through!

The Naked Whiz
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I had exactly the same experience. Old lid didn't fit evenly on the new replacement bottom, and I never did get the sucker aligned properly. The cracks were a big surprise, but BGE and my dealer came through. And the Egg works great despite the alignment issue. The most impressive part to me was the effort my local dealer put forth to make the replacement happen, even to the extent of giving me a new bottom from their warehouse immediately while they waited for the next shipment from BGE. And I didn't even buy that original Egg from them 8 years ago.