Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't wait till dinner to slice this brisket

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Put it on last night around 10. I used up the last bit of WGWW, publix, gfs lump and opened up my last bag of forest lumps. Put in some jack Daniels chips and a few chunks of oak. Rubbed the 16#er with s&p. Stabilized egg at 250 put it on and waited an hour to go to bed. I decided to keep it super simple stupid and ride this one out with no maverick, but I woke around 3 for a bathroom break and checked on it. Egg was hovering below 200 so I bumped it up a bit and went back to bed. Woke up and temp never budged so I bumped it to 270. Right now it's 195 but getting more buttery each time I check it. Will have plenty of time to FTC today so hopes are high! Will post slices and final thoughts later. Thanks @cazzy‌ for your input the other day. image
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    that looks great !

Toronto
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    For sure man!  What time is dinner again Yzzi?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • yzzi
    Options
    5 give or take.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm with cazzy; what time is dinner?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    Options
    Waiting on the flat to butter up. Still a little tough in some areas but hasn't reached a second stall yet as temp keeps climbing.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    K.  One idea i'd like to throw out there.  I've seen a few briskets lately overshoot when they're pulled at perfect tenderness and immediately FTC'd. My thought to circumvent this is to let it rest for 15-20 minutes on a cutting board before you FTC.  This will allow the temp to drop a few degrees and have less carryover after FTC.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Looks great-and I'm envious.  the journey is the best part but that looks like great eats at the finish-line. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    Options
    cazzy said:

K.  One idea i'd like to throw out there.  I've seen a few briskets lately overshoot when they're pulled at perfect tenderness and immediately FTC'd. My thought to circumvent this is to let it rest for 15-20 minutes on a cutting board before you FTC.  This will allow the temp to drop a few degrees and have less carryover after FTC.

Consider it done. Should I put a little bit of drippings in? Not much, just a little?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Soonerbred83
    Options
    what time during your cook did the outside of your brisket start to harden?
  • yzzi
    Options
    It really started crusting up the last few hours. Had crust on it before, but started getting noticeably harder the last couple hours.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Soonerbred83
    Options
    what was your total cook time? i am on hour 4 of my brisket
  • yzzi
    Options
    I put it on at 10 last night and just took it off around 2:30. Almost 18 hours. Temp was low most of the night though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Looks gorgeous!
    Can't wait for the final report and pics!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • cazzy
    Options
    yzzi said:

cazzy said:

Consider it done. Should I put a little bit of drippings in? Not much, just a little?
    Hell no.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Verdict in. I took it off the egg and it was all nice and jiggly. I let it rest out about 15 minutes then FTCd it. Took it out of the cooler around 4 and kept it wrapped on the counter hoping to eat at 5. We never got around to eating till 6, the brisket really seemed to stiffen quite a bit like all my previous ones. Sliced up the flat and pretty dry. Point was good but even that was a little dry too, but the taste all round good. I think next time I'm going to let it rest on counter and slice, no more FTCing. So it was a little disappointing especially since this was the best cut of meat I've been able to get a hold of yet. I guess a SRF is my only hope yet. Sides were great. Did some oven fries on the baking steel and I really liked those a lot. Friends brought corn soufflé which was really good. imageimageimageimage
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    Sorry Yzzi, my guess is it was over before you FTCd and lost it's jiggle when relaxed as the temp dropped.  I'm not against FTC, but I usually try to schedule my cooks to finish with an hour counter rest.  It's more risky but it's what works best for me.  I've heard cen say sometime back that he'll pull at 195 and ftc, then let the brisket get happy during the FTC.  

I just probe the thickest part of the flat and when that's butter, I pull it.  Waiting for every part to get happy might have been your downfall.

This is not lost...chop it up and sauce it, then have some killer chop beef sammies.  You'll get em next time.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Yeah I think your right on letting as much get buttery as possible. I think that is what took the point down a notch. I'm going to skip the ftc next time and do like you said to try and plan for hour rest. Thanks for your advice. Keep on keeping on.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    Oh, and it definitely won't be wasted. Chopped flash is dang good :-) it may be getting hot out but a chili will be in order with whatever leftovers make it past tomorrow.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    cazzy said:

Sorry Yzzi, my guess is it was over before you FTCd and lost it's jiggle when relaxed as the temp dropped.  I'm not against FTC, but I usually try to schedule my cooks to finish with an hour counter rest.  It's more risky but it's what works best for me.  I've heard cen say sometime back that he'll pull at 195 and ftc, then let the brisket get happy during the FTC.  

I just probe the thickest part of the flat and when that's butter, I pull it.  Waiting for every part to get happy might have been your downfall.

This is not lost...chop it up and sauce it, then have some killer chop beef sammies.  You'll get em next time.
    So this is an old thread but I wanted to let you know that I skipped the FTC on the brisket I did yesterday and it turned out much better! I could only get a 10# select and I started it about 6am and let it ride around 250-275 and checked for butteryness at 4pm when it was 190 degrees. I was going to wrap in paper but it was going well so I skipped. The flat felt pretty buttery and it was nice and jiggly so I pulled it, let it rest on the counter lightly wrapped in foil for an hour and it was still moist and jiggly. I'm convinced I've been over shooting it when doing a FTC. I never got a slice shot, but needless to say I was finally happy with how one turned out. If only we had better quality briskets around here.
    Dunedin, FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    What an Awesome plated pic..Great cook That brisky looks great.
    ^:)^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • yzzi
    Options
    Thanks @johnmitchell‌. That plated pic was from two briskets ago. This time around we had baked beans, and a fancy Mac and cheese. It was delicious, imo.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking piece of meat.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Your brisket sucks. Please mail it to me L-)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    Options
    Mickey said:

Your brisket sucks. Please mail it to me L-)

Will do... After a few weeks of letting it sit in the heat =))
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    yzzi said:

cazzy said:

So this is an old thread but I wanted to let you know that I skipped the FTC on the brisket I did yesterday and it turned out much better! I could only get a 10# select and I started it about 6am and let it ride around 250-275 and checked for butteryness at 4pm when it was 190 degrees. I was going to wrap in paper but it was going well so I skipped. The flat felt pretty buttery and it was nice and jiggly so I pulled it, let it rest on the counter lightly wrapped in foil for an hour and it was still moist and jiggly. I'm convinced I've been over shooting it when doing a FTC. I never got a slice shot, but needless to say I was finally happy with how one turned out. If only we had better quality briskets around here.
    Well there you go. I prolly FTC about 5-10% of my briskets. Not something I ever do unless I need an extended hold...for when I take one somewhere. I know most plan for it, but it's totally an unnecessary step. This shows that it can actually ruin a perfect brisket.

When I do FTC, I usually rest it on the counter for 30 minutes, then FTC.

That looks great too yzzi. Great color and bark! Have you tried Restaurant Depot? I'm pretty spoiled with prime right now so you can hate me. Hahah
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Yzzi....... That could not look any better
  • yzzi
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have not tried restaurant Depot yet. I'll give it a shot soon. I keep forgetting about that place.
    Dunedin, FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Tell me about the baking steel. Is the grid directly on the fire? Where did you get the steel? 

Thanks

P.S. I am working up the knowledge and strategy for my first brisket, I'm more a morning person so I'd expect a smaller piece of brisket and getting going at 5AMish. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• yzzi
    Options
    The baking steel I won from the infamous @henapple‌ BBQ drive for the tornado victims last year, courtesy of @cazzy if memory serves me correctly. It's sitting on top of an adjustable rig with no stone, directly over coals. I love cooking potatoes like that on the steel. They cook quickly and have a great texture.
    Dunedin, FL