Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who needs a stinkin pizza stone.

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have always done pizzas in a CI pan. I don't want to buy a stone so I thought I would try grilling instead of buying a stone.

Home made bacon and pulled pork pizza with a fire roasted jalapeño sauce and dizzy dust. Grilled at 475 indirect for about 12 minutes.

SWMBO and both agreed that this was the best one yet.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks great!! Glad it worked for you!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I'd always "grilled" pizzas on the grate rather than "bake" them on a stone when I had my gasser.  But, I always grilled one side, then removed the crust, flipped it, and dressed it with the toppings, and returned it to the grill to finish (so both sides of the dough saw the grill heat).  
    From your pics it looks like you put the fully-dressed pie onto the grill, and got it all to cook without burning the bottom, am I understanding that correctly?  
    Would sure make it easier.... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    What's up with the four nuts/bolts on your setup?  Pardon my ignorance, but new to the egg?
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Fully dressed and on the grill
  • hondabbq
    Options
    stv8r said:
    What's up with the four nuts/bolts on your setup?  Pardon my ignorance, but new to the egg?

It's a homemade raised grid. Lots of threads on the forum on how to build.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    ahh thanks
    hondabbq said:
    stv8r said:

It's a homemade raised grid. Lots of threads on the forum on how to build.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @hondabbq would you mind telling me how you go about doing your Za in a CI. Do you preheat the CI and then put the crust in the pan? Curious as to how you do this. Thanks 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • hondabbq
    Options
    @hondabbq would you mind telling me how you go about doing your Za in a CI. Do you preheat the CI and then put the crust in the pan? Curious as to how you do this. Thanks 

My method is......oil cold CI pan, spread dough, top accordingly, put on egg at 400 direct for approx 20 minutes.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Is the crust pre-baked? I cannot imagine getting a perfectly round fresh dough crust intact onto the grill. If fresh how'd you do it?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Since it is a thin crust pizza I froze it. I had all my ingredients ready and the egg stabilized. Put the dough on some parchment and assembled. Took it immediately out to the egg while the crust was still firm and slid it into the grill.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Since it is a thin crust pizza I froze it. I had all my ingredients ready and the egg stabilized. Put the dough on some parchment and assembled. Took it immediately out to the egg while the crust was still firm and slid it into the grill.
    Did you oil the grate to prevent sticking or was that not a problem?
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Smokin Dog
    Options
    I take the platesetter on put on the grate legs down and use it as a pizza stone   Works like a wood fired oven...
    Keep on Smokin!!!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    That is one mean looking pie. Congrats and thanks for sharing, very interesting cook and set up.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Interesting method and obviously it works.  +1 on parchment.  I always use it - could not handle a pie if I did not. Great job shaping the crust!  Did you work in a pizza shop at one point?
    Rochester, NY
  • hondabbq
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    hondabbq said:
    Did you oil the grate to prevent sticking or was that not a problem?
    Actually it was quite the opposite. I had brought my raised grid inside and gave it a thorough was t get all the gunk from previous cooks off of it. Knowing I was putting raw dough on the grid I assumed it would have left some unsightly and possibly distasteful grid marks. I personally thought that it would not have stuck do to the high temps.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    hondabbq said:
    Interesting method and obviously it works.  +1 on parchment.  I always use it - could not handle a pie if I did not. Great job shaping the crust!  Did you work in a pizza shop at one point?
    I was wondering how long it would take someone to make a comment on the crust. I did spend some time in a pizza joint in my youth. In all honesty I work in a commercial kitchen and used a cake ring.
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Than explains it, you have both tools and training!  From the top it looks like a store bought pre-baked crust. From the bottom view it looks like fresh dough, and based on you activity here, I was pretty sure you would not try to pass off a pre-baked crust without calling it.  Nice job! 

You are up early!  Central time zone, right?
    Rochester, NY
  • hondabbq
    Options

Dough was absolutely raw and not prebaked.

Yes im in the central. Manitoba Canada.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Impressive. :-bd In the past I've rolled out dough, set a plate on it, and then used it as a stencil to cut a perfect circle. Just when I thought all was perfect, I would look at it and it would become a messed up looking amoeba of some sort. Now I'm working on the stretching from a ball gig. Someday. Someday. Thanks for sharing. Well done. =D>
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    hondabbq said:

My method is......oil cold CI pan, spread dough, top accordingly, put on egg at 400 direct for approx 20 minutes.
    Thanks, going to try that

Large, small, and a mini