Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Egg

I've got a large and I'm starting to think about a second Egg.  I'm sure this has been discussed before but my inclination is to get another large.  That way my accessories are compatible. 

So what's everyone's input on the size of a second Egg.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Don't know if I would need another large but that MiniMax looks interesting.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very good thinking. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I got my second large last Friday. I love having two! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You're budget is gonna play a big role in your decision. I would have loved to go with a second large, but that wasn't going to happen. Too much and more grill space than we needed. It was a toss up between a mini and a large. Talking to my friend/dealer and folks here, we went with the mini . Works for the two of us

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    My egg siblings are a large and a medium. They get along great together one usually cooks teh appetizers while the other cooks the main dish. But sometimes they work in unison. For instance I sear steaks on my medium and low temp on them on teh large. I like the fact that I can choose which one to cook with depending on circumstances.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186

How many people do you usually cook for during the week?

We bought the small to save on lump.

It's just the two of us ,we have a lge and small .We use the small for a couple of burgers, or chicken breasts & veggies or a whole chicken, couple of steaks.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Griffin said:

You're budget is gonna play a big role in your decision. I would have loved to go with a second large, but that wasn't going to happen. Too much and more grill space than we needed. It was a toss up between a mini and a large. Talking to my friend/dealer and folks here, we went with the mini . Works for the two of us

This
    Seattle, WA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have a XL and a Medium which is right for me. If I had bought a large first I probably would have bought another large. I am not convinced of the sharing the Eggcessories argument however. You can't share an AR if you are using it in one egg. It sounds good though. I vote for a second large.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • I'm facing the same dilemma, have an XL for just over a year now, and am eyeballing a medium only for the smaller cooks like a few burgers or hot dogs on a weeknight. Love the space of my two-tiered XL when it comes time to do 15+ pounds of ribs or a 17 pound brisket! 
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    MAX
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I currently have a large and am about to pull the trigger on a small. I wanted something to give me two different types of temps and cooks at once as well as portability.

LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited July 2014
    I've had a large for 8 years, bought a medium 6 years ago. The medium was always a disappointment. It took longer to get to temp, would never hit searing temps (until I got a High Que grate). I recently bought a second large. No question in my mind that the large is the sweet spot relative to temps, charcoal usage, and speed.
  • I'd pull the trigger on the small. I just like it better because it gives me the low and slow option (even though I'm sure there are folks who have done that on the mini). But I can smoke a pork butt at my deer camp overnight without even getting up to check on it.

Little Rock, AR

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I wouldn't trade my XL for anything in the world. I LOVE my XL/Small combo. Works well for me, I find uses for both at once or using them independently.  Both work wonderfully.  

But that's me. I'm sure your situation is different. No matter what you will be happy. Every size has it's merit and they are all extremely capable. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Large and small here. It's just 2 of us. The small gets about 80% of my cooks. The large hangs out for pizza, wokking and when we have company or the occasion that I need 2 diff temps goin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I've got a large a medium and the small. My medium is my "daily driver". 2 mid thirties adults and 2 children under 10. But I wouldn't give up any of them as they all get used in the right situation. Although if I could afford it and could justify using the lump 2 larges is a great way to go. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Large and small here also, that combination works great for me. The large was always the goto, mounted in a table and used year round. I've recently purchased a small, with High-Que grate and am quite satisfied. It easily cooks overnighters and up to searing temps with no difficulty. The small now travels with me in the 5th wheel for added enjoyment. The small is also cheap on lump, or maybe it's just me adding too much lump in the large. 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    It's easiest to just buy them all.
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Today, I'm thinking another large.  I eliminated a gasser as a second grill from consideration about a week after getting my large because even if I'm cooking dogs, I'm lighting lump.  

I thought about an XL.  I've considered a Primo, too.  Something about the symmetry of two larges. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I think it depends on what you will use the second for. Will it only be stationed at home base, or do you want it to be somewhat portable? I wanted my second to have a bit of portability, as well as being large enough to take care of dutch oven cooking, proteins for our family for weeknights, etc. I ended up adding a Small to my XL. If you don't need the portability aspect, I think you are on track with adding another Large, as long as you have never needed to cook something that wouldn't fit on your Large.

Also, if you want to see how the small cooks, PM me, you are more than welcome to give mine a test run. That goes for the XL as well if you are considering an XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Xxl gets my vote
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    I wish I had an xl and a mini. But the large is small enough to not worry too much about lump, and big enough with the adjustable rig to not need an xl. If you don't have an adjustable rig I'd say get that first. If you do, get another large.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I started with an XL and added a medium.  If I had started with a large I would add a second large to pick up the grill area and have commonality of components.  If the double large setup, I would likely make a reducing ring for smaller cooks.  No matterm what you do it will be good.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I had L and M. Then went to L and L which works great too. Recently added a S and a M came along too because I got a great deal. The M is my favorite egg to cook on. Gets hot fast, has enough capacity for most cooks. I saw that another forum member said he had trouble getting high temps on his M - mine has no trouble getting hot, is really efficient on lump, and just really effective for most cooks for our family of 4 (plus a 7 mo old). 

I was looking for the S as I wanted something more portable and didn't want to wait for Mini Max. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,360
    I have a large at home and an Akorn jr at our winter place in Florida. I am surprised at how well the Jr works and feel something smaller would be a nice addition for home (with the large). I'm anxiously waiting for the reports on the mini/max!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    First bought the XL. A few months ago I picked up a M. Now the XL hardly ever gets used. Actually contemplating getting rid of it.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @r8rS4lf I just couldn't bring myself to sell an egg. Even if I seldom used it I just couldn't part with it. It would be like selling my kids or my dog. 

Don't do it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I have an XL and a Medium, that combination works well for me.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I also have the XL/M combo. If anything HAD to go it would be the M.  The XL is just too versatile to give up.  I can cook anything I want on he XL while the M takes a bit of adjustment on portion size etc.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Decided to go with a second large.  It'll be delivered tomorrow and I'll be assembling it Saturday.  Counting the hours...

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA