Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade PID temperature controller

Decided to build a little weekend project. Hope it works as well as planned.

Comments

• Very cool! I thought about building one and gave up and bought the IQ110. Specs?
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited July 2014
    Neat.  I built something similar that controls electrical outlets. Currently using it for SV, with plug'in coffee urn, rice cooker or hot plate. Not into using it for egg temp control yet since I already have a Stoker.
    canuckland
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    I decided a year ago to return to school so I couldn't justify purchasing a stoker yet so I decided I could build a unit to get buy until I start receiving a pay check again. The PID was purchased from amazon along with the other parts. I built the unit for around 60 dollars. I hope she will perform well in the inaugural test run tonight for a nice pork butt.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Boss, you can't post sh!t like that and leave us hanging! :)

Cmon. Spill it. We would love to know how you built it. Have you seen the Heater Meter threads elsewhere on the net?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You know, this weekend, I just built this thing. Kind of cool, no big deal...

WTH, you built a pit controller and this is all you post! Go ahead, brag on yourself for this one. Post some details, show the insides, etc. Nice job!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Ya, no kidding... if this thing works like you expect, then its a pretty big deal. Especially with this group.
    Cant wait to hear the results.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Here are some questions I have:
    What type of PID (link or part number)? Thermistor or thermocouple? Type of fan (CFM)? Power source?
    Steve
  • marcfed
    Im sorry guys here are some more details: PID MYPIN TA Series from Amazon Solid State Relay (SSR) 25A SSR-25DA K Type Sensor (Thermocouple) AC Infinity 115V AC 92mm by 25mm High Speed Fan The switch and electrical housing box came from Home Depot The fan came with an AC cord that a cut and split to provide power to the unit Wire diagram picture below
  • Cool! Thanks for the info. When are you planning on using it? Would you be able to take a video? Also, curious if you have an elegant way of dealing with the temp drops from opening the dome (e.g. open lid detection)?
    Steve
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    marcfed said:
    Im sorry guys here are some more details: PID MYPIN TA Series from Amazon Solid State Relay (SSR) 25A SSR-25DA K Type Sensor (Thermocouple) AC Infinity 115V AC 92mm by 25mm High Speed Fan The switch and electrical housing box came from Home Depot The fan came with an AC cord that a cut and split to provide power to the unit Wire diagram picture below
    I had one of those but the wheel fell off!!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• marcfed
    @stevethegreat I have a short video that I can email you if your interested showing the fan in motion in the house....I will be testing the unit on tuesday I do believe. Weather interfered with tonights cook.
  • PMed
    Steve
  • marcfed
    So I finally completed my first cook using the new PID controller over the weekend. The controller turned out great and worked better than I could of asked for. I will include a few details as to where I purchased the parts as well as how I designed my temperature controller as well as a link to another website where I borrowed some ideas from. Here is the other website link: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2252-Awesome-Inexpensive-DIY-ATC I purchased the electrical housing box as well as 11/2" gray PVC from Home Depot = $15 dollars PID Controller (120V) with SSR solid state relay package from amazon = $37.20 Brand name: AGPtek K type SNR PID Temp Controller AC Infinity HS9225A-X standard cooling fan than came with a power cord = $14.99 Toggle Switch from Home Depot = $ 2.00 I already had some small gauge wire and wire fasteners at the house. Total project was a little over $60 dollars when it was all said and done. We began by drilling out a hole on one side of the box for the pipe elbow to extend to the grill and the opposite side for the fan to pull in fresh air. I mounted the pipe elbow by using a threaded coupler (see picture below) and some epoxy. I then mounted the fan on the opposite side by drilling through the electrical box with two steel screws and creating my own threads with the screw into the cooling fan. Then mounted the SSR relay on the floor of the electrical box. The PID controller hole was cut in the top of the box with a dremel tool and placed in the center of the box to help avoid blocking air from the fan. The fan blows more than ample air past the PID and all the wires. I then wired up the unit with the diagram below. I cut the AC cord from in the fan in half and used the other half to split and provide power to the unit, then wired in a switch to interrupt the 'Hot" side. One hot to the PID, One Hot the SSR, ground to PID, ground from SSR to PID, Hot from SSR to Fan, Ground from fan back to original ground. I took a piece of sheet metal that I found in the gutter section to cut to size to slide into the eggs stainless steel slide on the base of the grill. Then cut multiple slits in the sheet metal in a circular fashion and bent then around the PVC and secured with pipe clamp. Low and slow cooks shouldn't allow for too much heat at the base of the grill. I will attach a few more pictures. Hope this may help someone build a unit as well.. Keep on Egging
  • =D> well done! Awesome to see some creativity and ingenuity, looks great.
    Steve
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Are you controlling total air flow with the top vent as I see no restriction in the system?  Also is this on/off for your fan or does it modulate the fan speed? You can get SSR's and controllers either way, but I suspect at that price on/off.  Looks like a good project and very reasonably priced.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • marcfed
    Daisy wheel was just cracked and and remaineder of flow from the unit. The PID is strictly on/off but worked great. I only opened the grill a few times during the overnight smoke.