Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
I am embarking on my first turbo pork shoulder.  I rubbed it with some John Henry's Texas Pig Rub and topped with a little Famous Dave's Rib Rub (trying to clear out the pantry).  Its a 9# shoulder.  I put it on at 8 this morning and its hovering around 330 right now.  I am hoping it takes a little under 1hr/lb.  I don't think I am going to foil unless it finishes early and I need to hold it.  I will post updates throughout the day if things develop. 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I'll be watching! I'm still not quite sold on the turbo method yet. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
    NW IOWA
  • bhugg
    Philly35 said:
    I'll be watching! I'm still not quite sold on the turbo method yet. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
    I was not either, but I did not want to stay up until 1 just to start the shoulder, so I figured now is as good of a time as ever.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    My 7 lb at 350 comes in under 5 hours. I always Turbo.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410

I intend to turbo one tomorrow.  Haven't been able to brave the overnight low and slow.  Turbos turn out great.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I always turbo too.  The largest turbo I've done was almost 8 lbs, and it came out perfect - 350 until 205 IT and probed very smoothly.  Typically I would recommend staying around 6 lbs for turbo, and if you need more, do multiple butts.  I've had them take well under an hour/lb, but I've also had them take well over - it isn't predictable.  It is soooo good though.   
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I just started my fire, have the butt rubbed and ready to go do the Turbo Tango once again! Only way to go!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have never cooked a butt, but I am going to soon. What is your setup method? 

Is it platesetter in legs up and a drip pan? Do you use apple chunks for smoke? From what I just read it seems like 350 F is a good temp for a turbo. What about low and slow? Is it 225? 

Sorry to have so many questions. I am going to do my first butt soon, and I want to do it right.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bhugg
    When I do a low and slow, I do platesetter, legs up, drip pan.  I usually do a handful of apple and a handful of cherry wood chips.  I try to hover around 250 until 195 internal.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • johnkitchens
    @bhugg thanks. Is it the same process for a turbo? Is the only difference the temp you cook at?

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    @johnkitchens‌ . Whether you go L & S, or turbo, your set up sounds right. Platesetter, legs up and drip pan. Make sure you use something to create an air space between the PS and the drip pan so the drippings don't burn. I just use four little balls of tin foil. I have cooked butts both ways, and don't see much difference. I think the most important thing is to take it to 203°+ int. Pretty hard to mess up butts.....
    GWN
  • bhugg
    edited July 2014
    Am I pulling too early?
    Nanook said:
    ... I think the most important thing is to take it to 203°+ int. Pretty hard to mess up butts.....

Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • johnkitchens
    @Nanook I didn't realize I needed to have a space between the platesetter and the pan. I planned on putting the pan right on the platesetter. 

I am glad you told me that! Thank you! 

• bhugg
    ya, i forgot that one.  I use the little green feet that came with the egg.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • johnkitchens
    bhugg said:
    ya, i forgot that one.  I use the little green feet that came with the egg.
    My Egg didn't come with feet. 

• Nanook
    @bhugg‌ . I can't tell you that ur pulling too early. I've just always went to 203°, and the butts have always been very tender and pulled easily at that temp. It works for me, so I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Lol
    GWN
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Turbo is my method too.  I only went low and slow on one butt on the egg and that was when I was testing the new pit controller. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    I go 195-200° pretty much all the time.  Its really feel for me.  Grab the bone.  If it slides, pull it. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bhugg
    When doing turbo, will there by any kind of stall? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    Not a considerable one, at least in my cooks.  Could hit one up around the 160° mark. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    bhugg said:
    When doing turbo, will there by any kind of stall? 
    Not like in the traditional lo & slo of 2 or 3 hours - instead it seems to hit a speed bump for a smidgen of time and then blows on past it and BTW I do NOT foil my turbos!
  • The only problem I have with turbo is that it seems to be a little fattier than low and slow.  All other things being equal, my theory is that the fat doesn't melt down as well during a turbo.  Maybe it blows through the stall too quickly?  I don't know.  It doesn't bother me enough to stop doing it that way, but SWMBO doesn't like it for this reason, which is why I just wrapped up a 13-hr cook.
    A LBGE perched atop Lookout Mountain, Fort Payne, Alabama
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I just did my first turbo last Saturday and it turned out great.  I set plate setter with legs up and a shallow aluminium pizza pan for drips sitting on top of foil balls.  I poured a bit of water in it to keep fat from scorching but the pan buckled and doused the fire.  Fortunately it didn't soak the coals enough to put fire out. Set temp at 315 and the 6 pounder cooked in 5 hours BUT I did wrap in foil at 160 IT because I was up against a time deadline and didn't know what to expect.  It turned out great!!  Used coffee rub + a little extra brown sugar.  In the future I will not rub any brown sugar on the exterior on a turbo because I think it scorched a bit and had a tad of a bitter flavor from the higher temps (although no one else seemed to notice as the neighbors said they fought over the bark).  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bhugg
    I am at 199 now and we are not eating until 6. I was going to pull closer to 205 and the egg is reading 318 right now. What should I do? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • RRP
    Well, I'm in sort of the same pickle - I'm 148 and egg is 335 and I won't be serving it until 7:30 tonight. I'm trying to choke down the temp as I have no way to reheat tonight so I will be going the max 4 hour FTC.

THIS butt is in itself a TURBO butt!
  • bhugg
    mine to.  so 4 hours is the max for FTC?

Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    Does the bone wiggle or attempt to pull out?  If so, pull it, wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, and place in a cooler or the microwave.  Should be good for 3-4 hours that way. 

Or wait till 205° and do the same as above.  You're good man.. Just breath! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I'm getting hungry reading all this.

Post some pics!!!!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Nanook
    @bhugg‌ . Let me pre-emp this statement by saying that I am definitely no expert, and other forum members with more experience may be able to give you better advice. I would close off the vents just a little and try and bring the temp down to say 240-270, and let the butt go to 203-205. Then, take it off and FTC. Should be fine to rest in the cooler until ur ready to pull.
    GWN
  • bhugg
    i have to hold it for 4.5 hours. is that too long? I am already at 203. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • bhugg
    I just went and really choked it down.  temp is at 315. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX