Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Chickens

Options
Got a chance to buy 7-8lb fresh, whole, cleaned chickens. They want $2.00 a lb. Think that is too much? Got freezer space so I was thinking about 5 or 6 if price is good. Have to pick up Sat.
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I think it is a little high.  I bought two, 5 pounders tonight on sale for $.99 pound.  Granted that was a very good sale that I don't see that often.  However I always like to have a couple in the freezer. In fact there is half a chicken in my belly right now!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    These are farm raised, non commercial chickens.  Talked to a friend who has something to do with chickens at Pilgrims Pride.  He said it was a good price, especially where they are cleaned and processed.  Ordered 10.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    In that case, I think its a great price.  Big birds, but a great price. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Excellent deal. Enjoy!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    7-8 lb birds are huge going to be tough. Roasters is what they are normally called.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    That is a good deal for fresh local birds.  They may be roosters if they are that large and are farm raised 'natural' chickens. Most of the farm raised ones I buy locally are 3-5#. I asked about larger and was told only roosters get larger than 6# on non commercial farms (my 4 hens would back this up - 7# max on the 'hoof' so to speak).

I'd try one to see how it is before you make plans for all of them. They may be better for stewing or other parts treatments (stir fry, etc).

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I looked around, and found there were 4 breeds where the hens would get above 7 pounds. I would assume they are stewing chickens at that size.

Possibly capons.

Either way, a reasonable price for non-commodity poultry.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Price is fair for a farm raised bird (non commercial). Considering commercial range from $1.40-$1.69 #.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I buy 7-8 lb. capons from a local source and they work just fine spatched.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    tkleager said:
    These are farm raised, non commercial chickens.  Talked to a friend who has something to do with chickens at Pilgrims Pride.  He said it was a good price, especially where they are cleaned and processed.  Ordered 10.

I have never had the opportunity to get good farm raised chickens like that.  Let me know how they are.  I would assume they are much better.

The chickens I buy at the supermarket are probably full of steroids and who knows what else...

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm thinking a couple of spatched, don't know what the rest will become.  Got my order in last night, and found out this morning that they over sold.  I will have to wait till the end of Oct first part of November to get my order.  Still going to honor the price, so that is good.  Just hope I have freezer space.  Fair starts this next week and we were thinking about buying a hog at the sale.  1/2 a beef will be ready mid Sept. (haven't bought a steak, roast, or burger from the store in 6 years).
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Let us know how they turn out. Itry to not buy any bird over 4.5 lbs.