Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Grate and Raised Grill

Options

Ok, so I am a dedicated DIY'er and mostly that equals cheap. I read about everyone saying they get better results from the after-market lump grates and I was curious. I grabbed the charcoal grate out of an old Webber kettle, marked it using the original BGE cast iron grate and with a metal blade in the jig saw and few minutes with the grinder/wire wheel later, voila! I will have to let you know how it lasts, but it seems to work just fine. It might be my imagination, but the lump seemed to get going faster and I Iit the same way as always. Testing continues with a spatchcock as I type.

Inspired with my success, I went and bought another 17" Webber grate ($10.99) and using hardware I had laying about I built the raised grate for the LBGE shown. I use a PSwoo that puts the grill at the felt line, so I used 5.5" long 1/4" bolts. Let the bolts stick below the grate 1" (minus the nuts/washer) for stability. It just fits inside the dome and seems to work out well. I set a 10 pound weight on it and it seems pretty solid. I tested it with baked potatoes and some fresh green beans in a foil pouch above the brats and burgers. If I like it I may replace the hardware with all new stuff, but I figure it will just get all greased up anyway. Not knocking other products, but a whole lot less expensive than some of the other rigs. I want to try it with a couple of larger butts or other roasts to see how it goes. I have seen similar projects, so I am not claiming originality here! Worst case, I have a replacement in case I need to use the kettle grill. Good cooking to all!

P.S. Accidentally posted a double image, not sure how to fix it, sorry!
LBGE

Comments