Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much charcoal? (pizza)

Options
I know they tell you to fill it up to the bottom of the fire ring, but in my opinion, thats way too much and just keeps them selling charcoal. Has anyone figured out how much coals to use per application? Say I want to make pizza and cook at 500. If I fill it up to the bottom, the smoke will never burn off. And I only need it to cook for a few minutes. (Thats my main point) If I'm gunna smoke something, sure, fill it up and burn it low and slow all day at 350-400. But this charcoal is not cheap, so I need to learn how to conserve it. Any suggestions? I guess it will take practice, but the pizza deal is bugging me. No way I can get it to stop smoking with a full load of charcoal. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You spent how much on your egg to worry about some charcoal?

You'll be able to dial it in and answer your own query with a fair bit of trial and error, and a lot of frustration :) Too much charcoal for a cook some times, and not enough to get your pies the way you want them the other times.

Save yourself the heartache. Fill up with lump, light it up and cook your pies. Then lower the temp and and cook something else - chicken for weekdays lunches, dessert, etc. That way you'll get more use out of your lump once it's lit.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I fill it up all the way, and burn what it takes.  Shut it down at the end, and use what is left next cook.  Haven't noticed any difference in burning off the bad smoke from a half load to a full load.  I do go through more lump on a 20 minute pizza cook, than I do on a 12 hour low and slow.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Hopefully your using your left over lump. Just add a little bit at each cook. Basically replace what you used from the last cook. By using this method, the VOCs burn off the new lump quickly and the VOCs from the old lump will have been already burned off from the last cook. Everybody has a different method, but a good rule is to start each cook with a full firebox. A full firebox will get you through most cooks. If doing prolonged L&S fill it up close to the top of the fire ring.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Hopefully your using your left over lump. Just add a little bit at each cook. Basically replace what you used from the last cook. By using this method, the VOCs burn off the new lump quickly and the VOCs from the old lump will have been already burned off from the last cook. Everybody has a different method, but a good rule is to start each cook with a full firebox. A full firebox will get you through most cooks. If doing prolonged L&S fill it up close to the top of the fire ring.

MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with stemc33.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • thegreategg
    Options
    Ok, but I still don't see how if you fill up the box you will ever get past smoke burn off, because you will always be burning new coal at some point. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I agree with stemc33 as well. As long as you close the bottom vent after your done cooking and cap the top you won't waste any lump by filling it up.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 for Caliking and Stem33. Only thing I would add is that I remove the really small pieces of old lump as they can block air flow. Royal Oak brand charcoal is pretty good (read, not best, but pretty good) and is always on sale at your big box retailers. If you consider some other intangibles: you are not heating up your kitchen (AC savings) the total costs for a cook are not too bad. This journey is not about saving money as much as it is about good chow. And believe me, I'm a royal tight-a**.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I oven mine, it burns a lot and the novelty wares off.
    Oven and a good stone.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Humor @stemc33‌ and try it. You will be pleasantly surprised. Then ask @nolaegghead‌ to explain the thermodynamics of it to us. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Ok, but I still don't see how if you fill up the box you will ever get past smoke burn off, because you will always be burning new coal at some point. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks
    I do not claim to be any expert, but my understanding is once the VOCs have burnt off they are gone and wont come back (duh).  But the actual lump it's self does not have to burn in order for the VOCs to burn off.  The internal temp of the egg will help burn off the VOCs that are in the egg.  Thus you do not have to worry about it for lump in the bottom of the egg.  I fill mine up everytime and cap it when I'm done.  Have not noticed a significant loss of charcoal when doing this or the foul taste of VOCs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    See the comment from @Stike on this thread. I think it explains it well.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138028/burning-off-the-voc-s-for-a-low-and-slow
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thegreategg
    thegreategg Posts: 8
    edited July 2014
    Options

Excellent! Thank you for posting this! Fill 'er up    Just give it more time to heat up and burn off.  :)
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    +1 on what @saluki2007 said. The heat at the top of the burning charcoal draws the VOCs out and away. You'll see references to "sweet smoke" on here. That's the slightly blue, sweet-smelling smoke when a newly lit load of lump has burned of the bitter acrid, VOC laden smoke when first lit. Time to get there varies but 20 to 30 minutes is a fair guide. The egg will have good heat retention by then and settles in to the temp you've set or targeted.
    Once you shut it down, the lump will not increase its burn and you will save virtually all that's left and good to add your new lump to for the next cook.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    If your lump is too smoky during a cook, maybe try a different lump. Some brands are more neutral than others. What brand lump are you using?
    Also, for pizza, you should allow the egg to heat up for at least 30 min if you are using a stone.
    It will take at least that long for the egg and the stone to get up to temp.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset