Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket terms and what they mean

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
Hi, gonna attempt my first brisket this weekend. Feel pretty good about it. My question are what certain terms mean

(1) Full packer
(2) Burnt ends
(3) The Point
(4) The Flat

I'm thinking by now I should know and feel kinda silly asking such a dumb question, but I don't know.

Tim
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Flat = slightly tapered rectangular shaped muscle running almost if not the entire length of the brisket.  Lean.

Point = very tapered odd shaped muscle sitting on top of the flat running typically about 1/2 the length of the brisket.  Fattier than flat.

Burnt Ends = 1.5-2.0 inch cubed point often sauced and smoked for another hour.

Full packer = Point + Flat + Fat 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Here's a great brisket link- http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html Give it a look when you can.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.