Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Steaks for 16

Options
Proser
Proser Posts: 271
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
What started as having a few friends over has turned into me cooking nice little 8-10oz filets for 16 people. Ii have no idea yet how they will want them prepared but I'm guessing rare to well. I have a large, a medium, a mini(Kub). I also have an Anova circulator that I can use for some of them if needed My plan is to reverse sear the rare-med rare to 115, the med-well to about 130 then finish them at the same time Anybody have a better idea?
Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    With all that kit? Sounds like a plan.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Sound like you've got it down, except for letting me know you were cooking filets by the pool.  I could have been there in a flash :)

Bet it turns out great!!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Proser
    Options
    Come on over Jeff,most of the people are my wife's friends so I could use some help In fact the meat is coming from Texas Slabs, this is the final planning meeting before her 40th class reunion this weekend
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I've made 12+ steaks numerous times. I actually think reverse searing that many steaks will be harder to manage. Maybe I'm just bias.

I typically sear them off, then roast them all together. I actually cook the steaks to my guests desired doneness. I put the steaks on to roast from highest temp to lowest. That way they're all finished together.

photo IMG_3825_zps6414ffff.jpg
    photo 34ee0728-cdfb-41b4-a78f-e39ac3c0b82f_zps0aeaaff2.jpg
    photo DSC_6268_zpsda9c1cbc.jpg

photo DSC_6274_zpsc00ada3a.jpg
    photo DSC_6660_zpsc61751d2.jpg
    photo DSC_6673_zps04910c12.jpg
    photo DSC_7262_zps420314fb.jpg
    photo DSC_7263_zps821ceadc.jpg

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I've made 12+ steaks numerous times. I actually think reverse searing that many steaks will be harder to manage. Maybe I'm just bias. I typically sear them off, then roast them all together. I actually cook the steaks to my guests desired doneness. I put the steaks on to roast from highest temp to lowest. That way they're all finished together. photo IMG_3825_zps6414ffff.jpg photo 34ee0728-cdfb-41b4-a78f-e39ac3c0b82f_zps0aeaaff2.jpg photo DSC_6268_zpsda9c1cbc.jpg photo DSC_6274_zpsc00ada3a.jpg photo DSC_6660_zpsc61751d2.jpg photo DSC_6673_zps04910c12.jpg photo DSC_7262_zps420314fb.jpg photo DSC_7263_zps821ceadc.jpg
    How do you follow a post like that? Very impressive! Not sure I have anything to add. I mean you've got the equipment to handle 16 - just gotta stay focused!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    +1 to what @cazzy said. Another option is to do whole tenderloins and slice them.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Could ya go ahead and make it 20? The last 4: 2»well done 1» med rare and 1» rare thanks =P~
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is what I cooked on my XL for 5 adults and 4 kids. 3- 1 pound rib eyes and 2- 1.5 pound t-bones. I had 2 partial t-bones left. Sorry no grill shots I forgot. I cooked them raised direct at 700° for 2 minutes a side, closed vents and let threel cook for another 5 to 6 minutes for medium and 2 for 8 minutes for medium well. They all came out great. Seasoned with a local Monterey mix.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Proser
    Options
    @crazzy if I understand, you think trexing them is easier/ better control? Great pictures by the way Thanks for the suggestion
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I worked for a caterer for a
    While as a kid and we would usually sear off steaks in batches for the color and then roast in bulk to doneness. Now it's called Trex!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • cazzy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Proser said:

@crazzy if I understand, you think trexing them is easier/ better control? Great pictures by the way

Thanks for the suggestion

I don't trex. I sear steaks near the lump with a spider or at stock grid level with lump past the fire ring (that's how I do it with the small). I rely on radiant heat, not nuclear temps. I don't follow much of what that method suggests.

I sear till I get the color I want, then I roast high in the dome. Simple as that. Good luck.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @cazzy :-O that's some great looking meat! ^:)^
    Does that make me a meat gazer? :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options

@cazzy :-O that's some great looking meat! ^:)^
    Does that make me a meat gazer? :))

YES!!!!!
  • Proser
    Options
    @crazzy thanks again. I'll give it a try, I knew somebody on the board would have a better idea
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I screwed up about $150 in prime ny strips and ribeyes about a month ago..never posted. I tried to reverse sear...got them all to good IT, but it was too many steaks on the large at one time to hold temp for a sear. $150 of well done steaks.

I did cook one N.Y. strip directly on coals, 3 minutes a side.. buttered right off the coals..that was sliced as an appy and was great. Guests thought I was crazy, loved it, drooling for mains, and whammy..who wants a sandal?

You are smart for asking advice!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Use the Anova and bring them all to rare. Finish on BGE to desired doneness. Quick easy and less time for you tied to grill.
    Duncan, SC
  • Proser
    Options
    @sumoconnell that's what I was afraid of. I thought about using the medium to help but the more I think about it, I like the control doing it cazzy's way.

That might make a nice t-Shirt  " I Did It Cazzy's Way"

@Mross Problem with the Anova is I don't have a container large enough for all the steaks, I would have to do two batches.