Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

liquor laws

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Just got in to find i am out of Woodford. ..or will be in about 10 minutes. Can't but liquor on Sunday here in the 1870's, Tennessee blue laws. After a 700 mile drive I'm not getting back out. Can't sell beer and liquor from the same store. Can't sell cokes at a liquor store nor limes at a beer market. Can't buy wine at a grocery store. (They finally passed that) Can't buy beer before 10 am Sunday. Other places I travel. .. Can't by cold beer at a convenience store but can in a liquor store. Can't buy beer at a mini mart but can buy a 6 pack when leaving the bar. Convenient market has liquor. I can't believe how much of East Texas, Arkansas and Kentucky are dry. Now, I travel with a solid supply of pabst.

Your weird laws?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    In New Orleans, you can buy cokes, limes, booze, beer, wine on Sunday morning at a day care center.  Seriously now, you can buy all that stuff at a convenience store at 6AM on Sunday.  No restrictions or blue laws here.  Except, pawn shops can't be open after 6PM and must close on Sunday. 
    Options
    You need to work on your Liquor stocking technics, I bet you have enough lump to last a couple weeks.  :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No beer or liquor can be bought here on Sunday but you can order either in a restaurant if it is after 11am. Cold beer can be bought at the quick mart in ky on any day other than Sunday but not Evansville And don't even think about buying a beer till after 6pm on any kind of voting day, ain't gonna happen.
    . Gonna be long Sunday with no Woodford.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Can't buy any alcohol (from a store) between 9pm and 6am in Wisconsin. Basically our only restriction is intentionally designed to encourage people to go to bars.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    LA is the best. Every has station has a liquor section.

FL ain't bad. Only can't sell on sun morning.

TX won't do Sunday at all.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You southern States are weird. I can get whatever I want 7 days a week. Just no grocery stores, so there's that.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    PA has some strange laws as well, however they are slowly changing. All liquor must be bought in a State store, most of which are closed on Sundays. Only a few select stores get to open Sunday. All are closed on Holidays. Beer can only be bought in a beer store, by the case, nothing smaller. One or 2 grocery stores have started selling six packs, and you can get a six pack to go from a bar. Wine is available at the State stores or in kiosks at the mall for local wineries. I live in a dry town, and all threstaurants are byob.
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They're open on Sunday now. Still can only buy beer in grocery stores.

Weirdest one I know of was in Allentown pa. Used to go there on business. Went out for pizza one night and they GAVE each of us one beer. No charge. Only one. Told us if we wanted more we'd have to go to the beer store down the road. That's all they sold.

I went, bought a case and brought it back to the pizza place. We drank it all. Weird. Dunno if it's still that way or if it was just Allentown. Hope never to return to find out. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    Only beer by the case? Well, you got that going for you.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Also, don't even know what Woodford IS. Or why anyone would drink PBR. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    Woodford is heaven, PBR is purgatory.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Michigan used to be no alcohol sales Sunday AM, but that changed. Now, alcohol is on sale between 7:00 am until 2:00 am any day. Convenience markets that sell beer & liquor are called party stores.

EDIT: I used to work the night shift in gas stations that sold beer & wine. At 1:55 am, the chains & padlocks are put on the cooler doors and the keys dropped into a drop safe. Lots of stories & funny stuff from drunks trying to buy beer after deadline. My favorite: Me: "I guess you're going to have to wait until 7:00." Drunk: "I can't keep my buzz going until then, man."
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @henapple - you ever tried Four Roses? I am a huge Woodford fan but I think I prefer Four Roses Small batch.

analyze adapt overcome

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    In MS, liquor stores are, or were, referred to as "package stores" at least colloquially. When I went to Penn State, I received a response of confusion when asking for directions to same. "Oh, you want the State Store."
    Kemah, TX
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    We don't really have any weird liquor laws and we were actually quite lenient for a number of years.  

Here is a good example of what's legal....(unfortunately this store recently closed mostly from pressure by several national chain stores but similar ones are still open for business)... It was called Bi-Rite and under the same roof, 7 days a week, you could buy all types of liquor (even keg beer), guns, ammunition, knives, cameras, fishing and hunting gear, prescription drugs, OTC drugs, sundries, all tobacco products, and veterinary supplies.  Plus they had a drive-up window so you didn't have to leave your car.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    jerryb78 said:

Can't buy any alcohol (from a store) between 9pm and 6am in Wisconsin. Basically our only restriction is intentionally designed to encourage people to go to bars.

Not only that but we can buy fresh squeaky curds and brats just about anywhere
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • A_Smalltown_Egg
    Options
    @tjcoley is right that Pennsylvania has some of the strangest laws.  All wine and liquor must be bought at state stores meaning owned by the state.  Technically speaking (at least as of a few years ago when I worked there) all restaurants must buy through the state stores as well...they place their orders through sales reps from distributors but the orders are first bought from and shipped to state stores which tax the hell out of it and then the businesses have to pick up the wine/liquor.  In addition to that, the state has a state list of wine/liquor allowed to be regulary carried in state stores but special liquor orders can be arranged (again heavily taxed).   Because of this system the state of Pennsylvania is the largest and most powerful wine/spirits purchaser in the good 'ol U S of A.  As for beer they have either distributors or "six pack shops" (most often bars but there are some retail 6 pack shops).  Many distributors are drive through warehouse type buildings were you can buy beer in either case or barrel quantities (nothing smaller), ie you cannot get a 12 pack of Bud Light and a 12 pack of Miller Lite.  At "six pack shops" (again, mostly your average bar) you can buy and pay for as much beer as you want but legally you can only carry our two 6-packs at a time.  As an example, you can actually order and pay for 2 cases (or more) of beer at a time but if you are by yourself then by law you can only carry 12 beers out at a time so while you can order and pay for it at once it will take you 4 trips back and forth from the six pack shop and your car to carry out the full 2 cases.  The state makes A TON of money from this system and because of it's buying power the Liquor Commissioner of PA is one of the most powerful and feared persons in the wine and spirits business in America.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nan na nan na nannnn na
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FL changed the law for Sunday liquor sales a few years ago (maybe 2-4 yrs ago).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    Options

@henapple - you ever tried Four Roses? I am a huge Woodford fan but I think I prefer Four Roses Small batch.

I haven't. If you drive down tomorrow I will.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I remember buying all sorts of "beverages" during my college days in Hattiesburg with weekend trips to "enjoy" NOLA. Damn near everything is legal down there! That's why I love it soo much there! Keep NOLA weird!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Wolfpack
    Options
    +1 on four roses- usually about $5 a fifth cheaper and it's good
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mattman3969
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I gotta go to the in laws tomorrow Sorry dude, I am sure we would have much more fun with a bottle of Four Roses. Maybe next time you are in the Ville I will hook you up.

analyze adapt overcome

• stevethegreat
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I remember when I was at FSU that we had to drive to Georgia to get 40 oz beer.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    No alcohol sales from 2 AM to 6 AM.  Liquor licenses can be limited, so some establishments can only sell beer & wine, nothing distilled, but that is a result of what the business owner decided to apply for when getting his alcohol license.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with the annual cost of the license why some places don't sell the hard stuff.  We may be whacked on other crazy laws and stuff, but California is at least reasonably intelligent on it's alcohol sales laws.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I live in the church-state of utard.

It's actually getting better here!

The greatest thing was getting rid of the "private club" laws a few years ago, you no longer have to "join" a bar to get a drink there (with its attendant fees, paid from non-lds to the lds).  I'm really happy about that.

Still some weird things going on:
    - Can get a beer with your lunch at eleven.  Want a glass of wine?  You have to wait until twelve.
    - State-run liquor stores, not open on Sundays.  Very heavy taxes on them.
    - Beer is available in grocery stores, but it's 3.2%
    - Beer is served at outdoor, "family-oriented" events.  But it depends on the town how that works.  A few years ago, here in Ogden, you had to drink your beer in a "beer garden", one year a rectangle of orange cones with tape stretched between them (I'm not kidding); the poor innocent children could walk right past and WATCH heathens drink beer!!!  :-O  More progressive areas (ie, wealthy, such as Park City) work more like the real United States.
    - One last Bastion of Stupidity is called the "Wall of Zion".  One mormon legislator decided that children watching drinks being mixed, or poured, was Ultimate Evil.  Now, all new restaurants must mix/pour drinks in a separate room, or have a partition built in front of them (the "Wall of Zion").  A few major chains refuse to open in utard because of this.  I'm hoping this stupidity will eventually go away, too.       
    O:-)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Wolfpack
    Options
    @botch agree it is light years ahead of where it was a few short years ago. I go to slc, Ogden, and promontory 4 times or so a year. The membership thing was crazy- even at your hotel you had to pay a dollar to become a member. Almost normal now- even a few blocks from the temple.
    Greensboro, NC
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options

The alcohol laws of Indiana are unique in that Indiana is the only remaining U.S. state to ban all Sunday alcohol sales outside of bars and restaurants (you can also buy it at Golf courses on Sunday).

In Indianaalcohol may be sold only to those over 21 years of age during the hours 7am–3am.

XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @OmahaOne - You live in Indiana??

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    @botch agree it is light years ahead of where it was a few short years ago. I go to slc, Ogden, and promontory 4 times or so a year. The membership thing was crazy- even at your hotel you had to pay a dollar to become a member. Almost normal now- even a few blocks from the temple.

Send me a PM next time you come to Ogden, like to get together!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month