Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

laid off and kept working

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
So at about 10 AM today, got told by my boss (company president) that the Board of Directors decided to lay me off.  So what do I do?  I keep working.  I process all of the required paperwork for some RMA's for one of our main customers.  I then proceed to show my boss one of my weekly tasks that is not a documented process at all.  Kind of critical though as it involves paying commissions to our SalesReps.  Then i let my boss know of a few more critical items I do and one big one that gets done once a year in October.  I didn't get out of there until 3 PM.  3 months shy of my 10 year anniversary.  Small business, employees feel like family.  They want me to show up at the annual company picnic/camping trip next month.  Of course, I won't be around to do all of the planning for it like I normally do, and I don't expect to be running the grill like I normally do, so maybe I should show up and kick back and relax.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• mcgyver210
    mcgyver210 Posts: 67
    Options
    WOW you took that well. Sorry about the loss of income though. I'm a business owner so I fully understand the current economy.
    New Owner XL BGE 07/03/2014
    Middle, TN
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I gotta say you are beyond calm. Great work ethics. And it sucks that so many small business owners have had to make difficult cuts in their employees to keep their doors open. Your attitude says it all. You'll land on your feet. Sorry for the loss income but, FWIW the same happened to me a little over a yr ago. Worked there 13 yrs and same thing (same family run operation w/ close knit like family so I thought). It was the best thing that happened for me & my family (but, at the time it totally sucked). Good luck to you. Get your resume out there asap.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Sorry about the loss of income, but with a work ethic like that you should be snapped up in no time.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    One door closes and another opens, sounds cliche but it's true. Good luck, you're of high character my friend.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Good luck boss....feeling can't be good especially with that time , but everything in life happens for a reason? I think so...
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    As long as you worked there I bet you know their chief competitors...go knock on their doors come Monday if you haven't already! As for attending the annual cook out...I believe that's your bosses way of trying to make himself feel good - but to further cook for them as an ex-employee you need to wake up! They dumped your butt whether they called it laid off or not! At this point you need to realize they set you adrift. Unless I missed it I don't know your sex or martial status, but if you plan to continue working find a new company. BTW 3 months before your 10th anniversary sounds fishy! What did others get at the 10 year mark? Vesting or other employee benefits? Either way get your chin up and I wish you the best!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I'm sure with your attitude and work ethic you'll get a new job soon.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That does blow.

May I suggest going on a bit of a bender for just a bit? Maybe tonight or tomorrow? In my own case, it is very cathartic and really helps clear the head, to plan and strategize for the future.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    Sorry to hear... good luck in finding something

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. Many of us have been there before. Take the weekend to Egg and have fun. When Monday comes around do something productive such as make some phone calls or send some emails to contacts you've built. Let them know your situation. You'd be surprised at what can turn up. 

Hang in there!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. Many of us have been there before. Take the weekend to Egg and have fun. When Monday comes around do something productive such as make some phone calls or send some emails to contacts you've built. Let them know your situation. You'd be surprised at what can turn up. 

Hang in there!
    Listen to him!  Do you see how any addresses he's had?  Gotta be an expert!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options

Hang in there!
    Listen to him!  Do you see how any addresses he's had?  Gotta be an expert!

:))

If I'd only started in Flint!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Sorry to hear this... I'm sure you'll land on your feet without too much trouble.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you are near KY we are looking for people with that enthusiasm. All we get are the kids that wanna make big bucks to talk & text on their phone.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Sorry for the unfortunate change in plans...but if you have that attitude I'm sure it wasn't easy for your boss either. Its easy to be angry and bitter, glad to hear that you don't seem that way.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm doing OK, confident something will turn up in due course, I just have to go find it.  Nothing fishy about the timing, I'm well aware of the financial condition of the company.  As for benefits, it would have been another 1/2 day vacation per year, going up a 1/2 day every year after.  If I don't find a job within 2 to 3 months, there is a very good possibility they would hire me back if their business picks up, but I'm not going to be waiting for that.  I know my boss hated letting me go, he knows I did a lot of different things for the company beyond what I was originally hired for.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I'm doing OK, confident something will turn up in due course, I just have to go find it.  Nothing fishy about the timing, I'm well aware of the financial condition of the company.  As for benefits, it would have been another 1/2 day vacation per year, going up a 1/2 day every year after.  If I don't find a job within 2 to 3 months, there is a very good possibility they would hire me back if their business picks up, but I'm not going to be waiting for that.  I know my boss hated letting me go, he knows I did a lot of different things for the company beyond what I was originally hired for.
    Good luck...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.