Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

32# of Pork Butt

mamacooks
mamacooks Posts: 9

It's been quite a while since I've posted, but wanted to ask a question about freezing pork butt for an upcoming grad party.  Put about 32# (4 boneless butts) on the Egg about 8:30 last night.  Was worried since it was my 1st overnight cook, but the Egg has been rock-solid at 225 for HOURS!  Slept from 2:30-7:30, 225 when I went to bed, 225 when I woke up.  Had to peek a couple of times today - and I couldn't just look and not pull a few bits from the edges....delicious!  Anyhow, back to the question - when freezing leftovers it's always already pulled, so I simply vacuum-pack.  Has anyone ever frozen the whole butt?  yes/no?  and if so, how would I reheat?

Party plans for 80-90, adults and kids: 20# brisket - already done; 30# pulled pork; 80pc of chicken; hot dogs, 'burgers, & all the sides. A tray full of Italian sausage & peppers from my fav Italian friends (thank you!).  Can't decide whether I should do more brisket/pork?  Suggestions?  Don't want to run short, but don't want lots of left-overs....

Today's cook seen in the attached pic - IT currently stalled @180, has been on EGG since 8:30 yesterday pm.  (Simple seasoning - olive oil and Butt Rub, aahh, LOTS of Butt Rub).

www.bsnsports.com

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Pulled, vacuum packed and frozen - yes. I have heard of freezing uncooked butts, but not cooked, whole butts. Sounds like a party.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    I have not tried it but I have been told if you chill/freeze them whole, you will have to reheat before they will pull.  I would recommend pulling first.
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Pull, vacuum pack, freeze, thaw & reheat at 300 degrees in a shallow foil or rectangular pan, add about a half inch of liquid & cover with foil.  use the plate setter, legs up for indirect heat until 140 degrees or more.  (liquid:  water, beer, apple juice, orange juice, chicken stock, or whatever suits to you liking).  Can also be warmed up in a cast iron skillet until just crunchy for some awesome Carnitas.  Love me some pulled Pork Butt, good luck , oh by the way, those butts on the BGE look scrumptious.  
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...