Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All night cookers - can you describe your setups?

Options
Hoping to draw upon your experience, as I can't get comfortable with the idea of unattended operation. I have a large in a stock nest, that sits on a cedar deck. It is not practical for me to get it off the deck. Currently, I also have no automation, as I have found temp control pretty easy. For those that cook overnight, can you describe your setups? I am particularly interested in where the egg is placed related to flammable material, and how you control temp overnight. Thanks in advance.
Winnipeg, Canada

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i just set it up for a 250 degree cook, get the temp stable for 45 minutes or so and in goes the meat. dont worry too much if the temp seems to drop with the addition of cold meat, if temps were stable before it will come back up in an hour or two. make a wiggle rod to shake the lower vent in the morning and if dome temps aredown in the morning open the vents a little. a wireless temp device with high and low pit alarms is nice til you get thru the first few cooks and/or get up after 5 hours of cooking and you will know if things are on tract and wont need to be asking if the butt is still safe to eat if the fire was going out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I usually keep an ashtray nearby for my cigar and make sure the ice bucket is filled before I light the egg to get it at my stabilized temp... after that, we pretty much spend some quality time together, sharing some smoke and listening to some baseball or music while he does his thing and I do mine...

Really though... pretty much what @fishlessman said
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    For my all night cooks, this is what *I* do, YMMV -

I have the same set up as you (no table, stock nest on wheels, etc) and a wood deck. I have the Egg on top of one of those non-flammable mats on the deck. I cook my all nighters between 250*-275*, so I get the Egg lit, stabilized and dialed in. Then I toss what ever I'm cooking on it and make sure that it re-stabilizes temp wise after. I also use my Maverick to monitor the grid temp and food temp. I set it up so the alarms go off if the temps go above a certain temp, then I hit the rack.

Now mind you, there are usually a few (or 6) adult beverages consumed during this process, so I do end up making a couple of unscheduled checks during the night when my bladder wakes me up.

I don't think that I could do this the way I do with out the help the the Maverick set to go off if the grid goes above 275*. In fact, I don't think that I would be comfortable letting an all nighter go unsupervised WITHOUT the Maverick. I'm not overly concerned about embers popping out the bottom because I have the door only open a fraction of an inch and the screen is on.

Finally, I should also note that any other cook I do when the temp is above 300*, my Egg is pretty much under constant supervision (ie - I'm always in and out between my kitchen and the Egg and I don't leave the house to go to the grocery store, for example). Hope this helps.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    One more question, I forgot to ask. Do you use a drip pan with some sort of liquid in it, to avoid burning of the drippings?
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    no to liquid in a low and slow, dont even soak the wood chunks or chips. all you need is an inderect setup like the platesetter or a pizza stone, or a simple pan to be placed between the fire and the food
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    My egg is built into a cedar table, I perform many overnight cooks with nothing other than the normal, get it stabilized for an hour, in goes the meat and myself to bed. I have only had an issue 1 time in the last 6 years and that is the fire burned out. I do not worry about it and use the maverick to alert me of temperature settings if need be. 

I normally do use a drip pan to keep the drippings from the cook from giving off a burnt grease taste. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    All good info above and WRT the drip pan, no liquid is needed but you should elevate the pan off the platesetter (or whatever heat deflector you use) to keep the drippings from burning.  You can use washers, balled up foil or some hardware nuts to create the gap.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My setup is on concrete, so no worries about setting a deck on fire.  I agree with the comments above, at stabilized L&S temps, the vent just isn't open enough for anything to pop out and I don't recall ever having charcoal spark unless I'm lighting it or running the temp up for a pizza or to sear something.  I usually run ~ 250 overnight, but every once in a while I wake up to a fire that has choked down to 180 or risen to 400.  Luckily the 400 was a butt and not a brisket, good bark on that one.  I usually check on the temp for at least the first 2-3 hours to be sure it's stable and then let it go until morning.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I clean out the egg with my shop vac and save the lump that's in the egg. Wrap the PS in foil for easy cleanup. Place old lump back in the egg w/ larger pieces at the bottom (if I remember). Add in wood chunks for smoke and I put them in throughout the mix of lump. Top off the lump w/ fresh lump to fill it up to the limit with two wood chunks toward the top. Start the fire with MAPP torch usually in 3 spots and after getting fire established I'll set up the Stoker for a 235℉-250℉ L&S with the Smokeware having about a 1/16"-1/8" slit opening. After I smell the good smoke (no creosote) I put the protein in the egg and place the food probe in the thickest part of the product. If it's a brisky the probe goes into the thickest part of the flat, Butt or Picnic gets it in the thickest part, etc. Sit back enjoy some tunes with a beverage before going to bed. I'll start checking IT with my Thermapen when I'm real close to completion.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Side note. I think it's important to be able to control and stabilize egg temps w/out a pit controller first. Once you can do this go ahead and look at pit controllers. It's important to be able to do it w/out just in case. Just my .02
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Side note. I think it's important to be able to control and stabilize egg temps w/out a pit controller first. Once you can do this go ahead and look at pit controllers. It's important to be able to do it w/out just in case. Just my .02
    Just curious, why use a pit controller then? I don't even use my Maverick anymore for overnight cooks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I agree with almost everything said on here but I light with paper towel and veggie oil and only in 2 spots. To each his own.
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    LBGE in a wooden table. Roll it out onto a cement driveway away from a nothing flammable. Use an Auber PID,set it and forget it. It will hold any temp I want for as long as I want.
  • grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Options
    I have my LBGE on a cedar deck and do a lot of all nighters and have never had a problem. I have never had anything hot come out thru the screen. I usually have set for 225-250 and have tempminder going. I have never worried about it after the first time and there is always a few brews involved.
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    One thing about the Stokers during an overnight cook - there ain't no way a hot ember is getting through the flow path of the stoker fan. 
    Options
    Called Turbo & you get to sleep all night.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ after I learned how to control temp etc it became a matter of having other things to do besides babysitting the egg (although I'll still do it). For me it was piece of mind on a long L&S overnight and not having to worry about temp drop or spike ($#it happens and it's simply a piece of mind thing). That and it's bad ass to be able to control & monitor pit temp and food temp via a PC, tablet or smart phone. I find it quite useful and I sleep like a baby.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ OMG! I remember having a garage party and this playing B-). Yep the 80s for sure.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014