Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not reinventing the wheel....but my new way of cooking burgers on the Mini

Options
Crispix49
Crispix49 Posts: 191
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was doing some reading from some of the "experts" on the perfect burger. One consensus was cooking them on a griddle vs direct over the heat since the grease from the meat is the best condiment, so I thought I would apply this method to the Egg. I used my Lodge CI griddle on the mini. Got her up to about 400 and then let the griddle "soak" in the heat for about a half hour, just like you would a pizza stone. I pressed these party's pretty thin, so they maybe too 5 min to cook. Thermapen'd em and pulled when they were about 135-140. Very juicy and very flavorful....maybe not the most health conscious, but delicious! You don't get the smokey flavor of the lump (which I like), but it's a great change up to a classic cook.
Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Thanks for your eggperiment! In that short of time with the griddle besides its no wonder there was little smoke taste...OTOH I have to ask what brand of lump are you used to using since most of the brands used here don't produce much smoke taste in themselves or did you mean you normally add wood chips or chunks for your cooks? Just curious - that's all.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Is use RO, but it's just that subtle hint of wood charcoal that you pick up in the he food on direct cooks (especially on the mini since you are closer to the lump), which I like. Maybe smokey was too strong of a word. I was thinking about adding a few chips the next time I do burgers on the griddle to get some of that flavor, but yet not have a "smoked burger"
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!