Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will three 10lb butts fit on a single rack on the large?

Options
Cooking 3, 10lb butts over night tonight. I don't have any multi layer racks so I was wondering if anyone cooked that much on a single rack before?

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I believe you can (I had 2 9s and an 8). Although if you have a plate setter you might get some overhang and will need to watch that and rotate.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    I will be using a plate setter. Feet up with a drip pan under the grate. I am thinking about 16-20 hours at 225.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    At 225 bank on closer to 20 at least that has been my experience.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have done three 9 lbs before on one level.  It was a tight squeeze and they were touching but they came out fine.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    225 dome isn't hot enough.  250 minimum and nothing will change except cook time going to 275.
    NOLA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    It will be tight. Might need to do done rotations to keep things even. Why not get some 6-8 inch bolts, washers, nuts, and a cheapo 16 inch grate and build your own raised grid???? It took me a total of 2 minutes!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    edited July 2014
    Options

Couple of other things to consider-make sure you create an air gap between the drip pan and platesetter so the drippings don't burn.  And check once or twice to make sure it doesn't over-fill.  Remember-each butt will cook at its own pace so once you get into the high 180's on temperature check each one as there could be a few hour difference in finish times.  FWIW-

(Edit) Best finish-line indicator is when the bone pulls clean, usually somewhere in the low 200's.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stand them up on end....so the long side is vertical.  You can tie them together with some skewers.
    Options
    Standing Skewered Butts.... Nice approach, @nolaegghead‌!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• qprhooligan
    Options
    I was a little off on the weights. They average about 9.5 lbs. I did a test fit and they will work no problem. If I can find my camera I will take a pic.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    As long as they aren't touching, you'd be fine. It'll be a tight fit, but that's fine with butts! :D

• qprhooligan
    Options
    Here they are, I think they will be fine.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great!
    Make sure your dome thermometer isnt hitting one of them. Other than that, looks awesome.

Little Rock, AR

• qprhooligan
    Options
    I removed the clip on the dome termometer and put it on the outside so it floats.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @qprhooligan. Is that Queen's Park Rangers hooligan?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• qprhooligan
    Options
    @qprhooligan. Is that Queen's Park Rangers hooligan?

Yes it is Queens Park Rangers. Surprised anyone knows who they are. And I'm not really a hooligan.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @qprhooligan. I went to school at St Clement Danes on Du Cane Road. Lived in Hammersmith and supported Fulham FC

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm planning on doing 2-9 pounders on the 4th turbo style on my XL. I don't like getting up early and I have found turbo works well. Going to cook at 300-350 for about 5-6 hours then shred into pulled pork.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

I will be using a plate setter. Feet up with a drip pan under the grate. I am thinking about 16-20 hours at 225.

I did a (think it was 9# or thereabouts) 235℉ took around 17 hrs and that was with me bumping the Stoker to 300℉ for the last 2-3 hrs. 250℉-275℉ would be fine. Me personally I liked the outcome at 235℉ even with the bump.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • qprhooligan
    Options
    Only took 15 hours. Here they are after resting for a while ready to pull.

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Umm... Look great. Enjoy!!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR