Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Demo Egg?

Options
Hello All. I'm in the processing of buying my first BGE from an upcoming Eggfest. When I was asking about whether to get the large or X-large, I was told if I was planning on cooking more low & slow the large was the way to go because the X-large was harder to maintain consistence temps. Is this true? I really would love to get the X-large because of the price and of course larger cooking area What do you think?
XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014
    Options

XL all the way.  I've never had any trouble maintaining temperature on L&S or high heat cooks.  It is rock solid without using a temp controller.  My feeling is that it gives you far more flexibility in what you are able to get on the grill.  Buy the largest you can afford.  For a one egg solution, I highly recommend the XL.

There is a small learning curve for maintaining consistent temps, but that is true no matter if you buy a mini, small, medium, large, XL or an XXL.  The XL may even be easier to maintain temp on L&S because the fire grate isn't as prone to clogging with small pieces of lump and ash.  I'm sure this will raise a firestorm of protest, but this is truly my experience. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I'd agree with @tksmoke controlling temps should be low on your list of cons for any Egg size.  You will have learn your Egg and how to control the air flow into the egg to control your temps.  Personally I went with the Large but I could definitely see going with XL or adding one to my Large in the not so distant future.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Get both :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I have all 5 sizes and my xl is easier than any of the others to control temp.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    tcampbell said:

I have all 5 sizes and my xl is easier than any of the others to control temp.

There are 6 sizes now
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My two Larges work just fine and more toys for the Large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    There are a very few occassions where I wish I had the XL, but overall I'm glad I have a large.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    If you have more than one, a lot of options are available. But if you will only have one, the XL give you more flexibility. You will very rarely see an XL owner say "I wish I'd bought a large." But as you can see from the replies...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I have just a large, no need for something larger. I often use a lump reducer and still have the capacity that we need.
    Kemah, TX
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I have an XL.   I have never had problems controling temp.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I only have a large, it is plenty big enough for me. I have never wished for more space and I have cooked a lot on mine! Having said that, we have an Akorn jr at our winter place in Florida and it is a great size for quick cooks for 2. I am thinking if I had a small I may use it more than the large? Less lump and seems like it would be good for most things I do (chops, wings, steaks, legs, thighs)
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No problem controlling temps on my XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I love my XL and don't have any issues holding temps.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Go with your instincts. I got a large.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I think maintaining temps would be similar regardless of the size. Unless I just slip and mess up, my XL holds its temp just fine. Get the size that you think fits you best.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    tksmoke Posts: 429
    You will very rarely see an XL owner say "I wish I'd bought a large." But as you can see from the replies...

That's exactly what my wife said. Thanks
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have both and if you want no worries go XL. You can do everything on the Large but you need more gadgets and creativity. (I.e. Just cooked 2 spatchcock chickens on the large tonight and used the AR and it just fit)
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE