Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cost of Charcoal

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @thailandjohn‌, do you get that at Business Costco? That's the only place I've seen it at that price(online of course, since it's a West Coast thing).
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Yeah, probably, but I like overpaying the little guy.
    Kemah, TX
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited June 2014
    I do buy this at the business Costco and I can also buy this directly from Lazzari in San Francisco....when I buy from Lazzari I usually buy 20 bags. Employees at our company also like this charcoal
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I am using RO (12.97 for 17 lbs at home depot) and Rockwood ($22.99 for 20 lbs at local BGE dealer). I like both. Last RO bag had the most large lumps I ever saw. Used Frontier from BJs last year, but no more - too much dust and chips. The shipping costs for a pallets of lump are as much as the lump. I am sure WalMart and HD buy full trucks and deliver to the store on their own trucks, giving them lower cost than the local guys. If you live near a producer, you get the best price!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @thailandjohn‌, do you get that at Business Costco? That's the only place I've seen it at that price(online of course, since it's a West Coast thing).
    @Eggcelsior I get mine at Restaurant Depot. Plus many other things when I go. It's hard not to fill up when you are there!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Cookinbob
    Hotch said:

@Eggcelsior I get mine at Restaurant Depot. Plus many other things when I go. It's hard not to fill up when you are there!
    My Restaurant Depot has only Royal Oak, price the same as Home Depot
    Rochester, NY
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    @cookinbob you can get rock wood shipped cheaper from firecraft.
  • Cookinbob
    TonyA said:
    @cookinbob you can get rock wood shipped cheaper from firecraft.
    I know that, but the local dealer is a friend and carries Rockwood because of my input.  Gotta support him!  I know what it costs him, and his profit is reasonable given what he has to buy and store.
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    WTG @cookinbob - support your locals is awesome, I pick my up on my work travels 2hrs from home and it's from a brickyard. I never have understood how people that will pay $1000 for an Egg look for the cheapest charcoal available. I do understand what is locally available but in long scheme of things if you use 400lbs a yr your only saving maybe $150 on RO vs RW or OO and OO isn't even that if you are on the @henapple route or in Arkansas(I think).

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I'm a newby...I understand the quality differs...what's the difference?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    MagicMike said:

@Grillmagic Not much really lol. My real name is Mike and it's just a screen name that I have used sometimes in the past. I've actually used it on and off for about 10 years now. I wasn't very excited when that movie "MagicMike" came out a couple years ago. I sometimes wonder if people think I am a male stripper or something haha.

@tksmoke I totally agree. I bet Cali is a wonderful place to live and I wouldn't not live there just because of lump availability. I was mostly kidding around in my last post. I live in a state where winter starts in November and ends in May. I would gladly give up lump availability for a warmer climate.

The reason I ask is I am a comedy magician & hypnotist!
    www.chuckkingcomedy.com
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Tractor Supply has RO for 11.99/17.6
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • TonyA
    edited June 2014
    marianneiamele1  The first big difference is taste.  Cowboy and its variants for example are very smoky. Ozark Oak, Wicked Good and several other more expensive charcoals are very neutral in taste.  Very Subjective.

The second important difference is burn.  For whatever reason, the more expensive charcoals tend to burn longer, more even and with less ash.

The rest of the differences don't really mean much as far as the cooking goes.  Some spark more when you light them - royal oak among them.  Some have extra large pieces - i personally prefer uniform sizes.  

You will not 'miss out' using more affordable 'lump' charcoal.  To the comment above about the egg being $1000, that is still on the affordable side when it comes to a decent quality smoker - particularly given it's bredth of function.  Don't forget, bbq has its roots in frugality.  I'd be more impressed with a good set of ribs off a camp grill using kingsford than i would from a $5000 smoker using Gucci brand charcoal that lights with a match and produces no ash.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Wait a minute....Gucci makes charcoal??????
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• TonyA
    edited June 2014
    It's really good stuff ... Don't tell anybody but it's really all I use.  I feel it gives me an edge.  They harvest their wood between 5 and 7 years maturity and have beavers gnaw the pieces so it has never been in contact with metal.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    TonyA said:
    It's really good stuff ... Don't tell anybody but it's really all I use.  I feel it gives me an edge.  They harvest their wood between 5 and 7 years maturity and have beavers gnaw the pieces so it has never been in contact with metal.
    Beavers gnawing wood... I should leave that alone. @NPHuskerFL you want to take over?  :-\"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @DMW‌ nope I'll let you handle this one (to early for me buddy :-) ). + I feel like I'm on fire today it's well over a 100℉ with heat index and then add working up on a roof so...ya I'm delirious at this point. Plus this one is such a softball pitch it wouldn't be fair. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've never heard anyone complain about beavers gnawing wood, except the contact with teeth.
    @nolaegghead‌ hey batter batter batter swiiiing batter.

Boy he got a hold of that one going deep in left field. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • So what do you think of the Costco charcoal?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • nolaegghead
    Ours sells Stubbs.  I like it, although it's made by the cowboy people and there are a bunch of cowboy lump haters.  34 pounds for around $14.
    I've never used it.  I'd be willing to bet from the description it is made by Lazzari.
  • nolaegghead
    Stubbs and Cowboy are made by Duraflame.
    Not sure our local Costco carries any lump. Expect flame wars to break out when you ask what kind of lump is best. Where you are located will determine what is available to you. Most work ok, some are much better than others. Check out nakedwhiz.com for a good review of different types.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • So what do you think of the Costco charcoal?

Check out nakedwhiz.com there are a lot of reviews on charcoal. It's a great site.
    Lexington TN
  • nolaegghead
    Different Costcos sell different lump.
  • TonyA
    @marianneiamele1‌ have you cooked anything yet? Don't freak out on what charcoal you are using. Focus on regulating temperature even a couple hours before you put food on the egg and you will be just fine.
  • I cooked 2 meals. The first one was good and last nights was abysmal
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • How long should it take to get the Egg to 350 degrees?
    XL...Round Rock, TX